NH inspectors

Hi,
To all of the members who attended the public hearing yesterday:

You guys were polite, professional and respectful to the board members, our Executive Director and our Council. I know that it is
not easy for everyone to speak in public and each of you did a good
job. Thank you for taking the time.
I came away from the meeting with many thoughts to contemplate.
With a positive constructive approach, that I am seeing, I know that NH will have the best licensing system for Home Inspectors that we can all be
proud of.

Thank you
Carla

Carla, thank you for your hard work. I for one appreciate it.
Pete

thanks Pete!

Hi all,
Good news! The board has adopted your administrative rules and procedures and your NH standards of practice. We went before the Joint Legislative Committee on Admin. Rules and they made a few changes.
Yesterday we adopted the rules at our Board meeting and also adopted the application form and the prelicensing education application.
Go to the NH joint board of licensure and cert. and enter the page for home inspectors. all of the forms will be there with instructions. If there are any questions you can call the joint board office or I will be glad to help.
Thanks for your patience and good luck!
Carla

Carla,
I did a “cut and paste” from the application and I would like some clarification.

As you know this state law requires that the written examination the “independent”.
In spite of this legal requirement the board has adopted the ASHI owned, ASHI trademark NHIE. This means that the New Hampshire home inspectors licensing board is allowing one trade associations {ASHI} examination to be promoted and used to the exclusion of all others.
In my opinion the inclusion of ASHI’s examination and the exclusion of NACHI’s examination is a violation of the letter of the law.

Today I received an application for a home inspector’s license. In this application it seems that “The Board” has given further thought as to the inclusion of other examinations other than the NHIE.

Here is the “cut and paste” from the application

**[FONT=Arial]2. Licensure/Examination Information **[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman]Have you passed the **National Home Inspectors or *****equivalent ***examination?
If so, location, date and grade awarded: _______________________________________________

**(Proof of passing examination must be included with completed application) **
Title of Examination Passed_________________________________________________________

Page 8
Have you included proof of passing the National Home Inspectors examination or the equivalent?
[/FONT]

So my question is…

• In the board’s opinion is the NACHI examination “the equivalent” of the NHIE?
  • Will those inspectors who have passed the NACHI examination be allowed to receive a home inspector’s license in New Hampshire?

**STATE OF NEW HAMPSHIRE APPLICATION FOR LICENSURE AS A **

**HOME INSPECTOR **

**$200.00 Application Fee **
[FONT=Lucida Bright,Lucida Bright][size=3]Category applying for, check one[/size][/FONT]
[FONT=Lucida Bright,Lucida Bright][size=3]: Initial License – 80 Hrs. of Board approved Education Initial License – Grandfather Provision License - Reciprocity [/size][/FONT]

[FONT=Arial,Arial][size=2]Check or Money order Payable to “Treasurer, State of NH” or complete the enclosed credit card form [/size][/FONT]

**(All Fees are Non-Refundable) **[FONT=Arial,Arial][size=2]The Application must be filled out completely and legibly. [/size][/FONT]

**1. General lnformation **

[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][size=3]Name _________________________________________________________________________ [/size][/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][size=2]Last First Middle [/size][/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][size=3]Names Previously Used (if applicable) Social Security # [/size][/FONT]

[size=3][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]Residence Address_____________________________________________________________( )

[/size][/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][size=1]zip code [/size][/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][size=3]Present Position (Organization & Title)________________________________________________ [/size][/FONT]

[size=3][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]Business Address______________________________________________________________( )

[/size][/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][size=1]zip code [/size][/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][size=3]Business Phone_________________________ Home Phone_______________________________ [/size][/FONT]

[size=3][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]E-Mail Address ___________________________________________________________________

Place of Birth______________________________________DOB___________________________

[/size][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Arial][size=2]Indicate mailing address by marking X in parenthesis [/size][/FONT]

**2. Licensure/Examination Information **

[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][size=3]Have you passed the [/size][/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][size=3]National Home Inspectors or equivalent examination[/size][/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][size=3]? [/size][/FONT]

[size=3][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]If so, location, date and grade awarded: _______________________________________________
[/FONT][/size][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][size=3](Proof of passing examination must be included with completed application) [/size][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][size=3]Title of Examination Passed_________________________________________________________ State in which first registered/certified or licensed as a Home Inspector________________________ [/size][/FONT]
[size=3][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]Date of Licensure_________________ License/Registration/Certification#_____________________
Expiration Date_________________ License Number _______Licensed by Examination? _________
Licensed by Education & Experience, no exam? __________________________________________ [/size][/FONT]

[size=3][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]Have you
[/size][/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][size=3]ever [/size][/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][size=3]applied for home inspection licensure in [/size][/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][size=3]New Hampshire[/size][/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman][size=3]? ______ Status ________ [/size][/FONT]

**[size=4]APPLICATION INSTRUCTIONS AND CHECKLIST FOR **

**HOME INSPECTORS **

**A complete New Hampshire Home Inspector Application and supporting documentation must include the following items: **

[FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial][size=3]1. A Check or Money order Payable to “Treasurer, State of NH” or complete the enclosed credit card form for payment of the application fee of $200.00.

1. A completed, legible, signed and dated application.

2. The Board office must receive a criminal record report from the NH Division of State Police.

3. Proof of liability Insurance coverage pursuant to Home 301.03 (b).

4. Proof of passing the National Home Inspectors Examination or *equivalent Board approved Home Inspector competency examination.

5. A listing of 80 hours of Board approved education for individuals not applying pursuant to the grandfather provision.

6. Documentation of course completion which includes certificates of completion indicating successful completion of 80 hours of Board approved education or written confirmation from a training facility/institution indicating the number of instructional hours and the content area of instruction totaling 80 hours of Board approved education. [/size][/FONT]

[FONT=Arial,Arial][size=3]General - [/size][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Arial][size=3]Provide all the information requested on the application form.[/size][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Arial][size=3][/size][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Arial][size=3]Do Not [/size][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Arial][size=3]substitute a resume or other synopsis of your experience and/or education for any part of the application form. If additional space is needed, please photocopy that portion. [/size][/FONT]

[FONT=Arial,Arial][size=3]Verifications for Reciprocity - [/size][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Arial][size=3]Enclosed you will find a copy of a blank verification of licensure/registration form. If you have taken the [/size][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Arial][size=3]National Home Inspectors Examination [/size][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Arial][size=3]in another jurisdiction to obtain licensure or are applying by reciprocity, complete Part A and send the verification form to the jurisdiction along with any fee they may charge. Make copies if needed. For each verification form mailed, you should include a [/size][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Arial][size=3]stamped [/size][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Arial][size=3]envelope on which you have placed the New Hampshire Board address label. [/size][/FONT]

[FONT=Arial,Arial][size=3]Examinations [/size][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Arial][size=3]- ****Acceptance of Board approved equivalent competency exams ***pertains only to candidates applying for licensure pursuant to the grandfather provision of Home 302.01 (e).[/size][/FONT]

[/size][/FONT]

Who determines what “equivalent” means? The people who sell and profit from the NHIE?

What if someone took a test that “exceeds” the NHIE, like the NACHI exam?

Here is a “cut and paste” directly from our state law ;

Quote:
II. The board shall adopt one eligibility examination required for licensure that is an independent nationally recognized proctored examination.
End quote:

I provided the following information to the New Hampshire Home Inspectors Licensing Board. They are fully aware that the NHIE is not an “independent” examination in any way shape or form. They are fully aware that the NHIE is an ASHI registered trademark!

Here’s the proof that I provided;

http://tess2.uspto.gov/bin/showfield?f=doc&state=4002:f09g0h.2.1](http://tess2.uspto.gov/bin/showfield?f=doc&state=4002:f09g0h.2.1)

United States Patent and Trademark Office
Home](http://www.uspto.gov/index.html)
|**Site Index](http://www.uspto.gov/web/navaids/siteindx.htm)|**Search](http://www.uspto.gov/main/sitesearch.htm)|**FAQ](http://www.uspto.gov/main/faq/index.html)|**Glossary](http://www.uspto.gov/main/glossary/index.html)|Guides](http://www.uspto.gov/main/definitions.htm)|**Contacts](http://www.uspto.gov/main/contacts.htm)|eBusiness](http://www.uspto.gov/ebc/indexebc.html)|**eBiz alerts](http://www.uspto.gov/helpdesk/status/status.htm)|**News](http://www.uspto.gov/main/newsandnotices.htm)**|**Help](http://www.uspto.gov/web/menu/feedback.html)

[FONT=Arial]Javascript required to view site-wide navigation bar. >> [/FONT][FONT=Arial]View Alternative Site Navigation[/FONT]](http://www.uspto.gov/sitenav.htm)
[FONT=Arial]Trademarks[/FONT]](http://www.uspto.gov/main/trademarks.htm)[FONT=Times New Roman] >Trademark Electronic Search System (TESS)[/FONT]

*[FONT=Times New Roman]TESS was last updated on Tue Apr 28 04:06:01 EDT 2009 *[/FONT]

***[FONT=Times New Roman]( Use the “Back” button of the Internet Browser to return to TESS)***[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman]Typed Drawing[/FONT]
**[FONT=Times New Roman]Word Mark **[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman]NHIE[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman]Goods and Services[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial]IC 042. US 100 101. G & S: preparing, administering, and scoring a standardized test in the form of written examinations taken by professional home inspectors to determine their qualifications for association membership and state licensing. FIRST USE: 20000301. FIRST USE IN COMMERCE: 20000301[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman]Mark Drawing Code[/FONT]
FONT=Arial TYPED DRAWING[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman]Serial Number[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial]76099552[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial]Filing Date[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial]July 31, 2000[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman]Current Filing Basis[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial]1A[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman]Original Filing Basis[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial]1A[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman]Published for Opposition[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial]January 8, 2002[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman]Registration Number[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial]2555205[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman]Registration Date[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial]April 2, 2002[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial]Owner[/FONT]
FONT=Arial American Society of Home Inspectors, Inc. CORPORATION NEW YORK 800 E NORTHWEST HIGHWAY, SUITE 700 PALATINE ILLINOIS 60074 [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial](LAST LISTED OWNER) EXAMINATION BOARD OF PROFESSIONAL HOME INSPECTORS, INC. CORPORATION NEW YORK 800 E NORTHWEST HIGHWAY, SUITE 700 PALATINE ILLINOIS 60074[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman]Assignment Recorded[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial]ASSIGNMENT RECORDED[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman]Attorney of Record[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial]Melissa A. Vallone[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman]Type of Mark[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial]SERVICE MARK[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman]Register[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial]PRINCIPAL[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman]Affidavit Text[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial]SECT 15. SECT 8 (6-YR).[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman]Live/Dead Indicator[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial]LIVE[/FONT]

NOTE:
I have provided this proof during testimony to both the House of Representatives and to the Senate.

So this is not “new information” and there is “no last minute surprise”!

And in spite of this irrefutable, and I repeat the irrefutable proof this licensing board has chosen to ignore the fact that they are in violation of state law by promoting one trade associations registered trademark registered property over all other trade associations examinations!

• My question is why would they promote an ASHI test to the exclusion of all others?

Could it be that board member David Roth was a former ASHI president and is now the current local ASHI vice president?

Frank,
to answer your questions, regarding “the boards opinion of an equivalent”
I cannot answer for the Board.
your question of will inspectors who have passed the NACHI exam be allowed to receive a license in NH?
There is more to it than just passing of an exam and each individual’s complete application submitted with the required documentation will be reviewed individually.
If you need any help with your own application someone at the Board office will be happy to assist you or I will try to answer any questions regarding your application.
Thanks,
Carla

Carla,
I passed the NHIE is 2003. It is valid for 10-years!

From reading the application it seems that this board had changed the Grandfathering rules!

Also… the law states that an INDEPENDENT test be taken! The NHIE is owned by ASHI!

This means that ASHI and their test is being PROMOTED over all other tests and over NACHI!

Quote:
[FONT=Century Schoolbook][size=3]II. The board shall adopt one eligibility examination required for licensure that is an independent nationally recognized proctored examination.
[/FONT][/size][FONT=Arial]End quote:[/FONT]

This means that this Board has violated the Law by choosing the ASHI owned NHIE!

• This is NOT and independent test!

This Board has PROMOTED the NHIE over all other tests and over NACHI!

[quote=“fcarrio, post:9, topic:38397”]

Carla,
I passed the NHIE is 2003. It is valid for 10-years!

From reading the application it seems that this board had changed the Grandfathering rules!

Also… the law states that an INDEPENDENT test be taken! The NHIE is owned by ASHI!

[size=2]***Quote:***[/size]
[FONT=Century Schoolbook][size=3]II. The board shall adopt one eligibility examination required for licensure that is an independent nationally recognized proctored examination.
[/FONT][/size]***[FONT=Arial]End quote:***[/FONT]

This means that this Board has violated the Law by choosing the ASHI owned NHIE!

• This is NOT and independent test!

This Board has PROMOTED the NHIE over all other tests and over NACHI!

http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/RSA/html/XXX/310-A/310-A-190.htm

III. The board shall approve all education programs under subparagraph I(a) of organizations or education institutions providing acceptable education and training.

Looks like you have to do what the board says. No more freedoms. You are now working for the government. Taking any test does not make you a good inspector. Licensing will not solve anything; only add to the confusion. Most licensing board members have no idea what they are doing. They only listen to their attorneys, paid by “special interest groups”. What a racket. It make me ashamed to be a home inspector if I have to abide by someone else’s rules and regulations; all in the interest of making money.

Maybe the powers to be at NACHI should start getting courses and the exam approved.

Here’s the application.

I think that would serve all involved well if it were done.

I’m not real comfortable with this response. Someone needs to have an answer as to whether the NACHI exam is an “equivalent”. I sent an email to the board to clarify. As to “There is more to it than just passing of an exam and each individual’s complete application submitted with the required documentation will be reviewed individually.” There can be no subjectivity in this process. I am licensed in NH in another profession and it’s black and white. You either meet the qualifications for licensure or you don’t. Yes each application is reviewed individually, but according to the statute. These interpretations and questions need to be made crystal clear by the board so applicants can properly apply and all are treated fairly and in the same manner.

Paul Punturieri
Certified Home Inspections of NH

Carla,
Please explain why the board is not following the “independent” rule set forth in the HI law?

The ICC certifies you to inspect with an on-line, open book proctored timed test.

NACHI, too, has an on-line, open book proctored time test. Much of what is on the NACHI test comes from the various ICC code books.

The NHIE is a cash cow for the carpetbaggers that follow the various state licensing attempts like camp whores.

“III. The board shall approve all education programs under subparagraph I(a) of organizations or education institutions providing acceptable education and training.”

It appears that the NH law makes it clear with the word “shall” which means there is no work around, it is a mandated obligation to be followed. This is part of an RSA which is statute thus law of the land. This means nobody is allowed to circumvent this line. This we know.

There is an application that has been made available for such programs and testing. I would find it extremely hard to believe that INACHI doesn’t fill the bill beyond expectations therefore quite acceptable. ASHI, NHIE will also have to have an application and approval on file for public viewing as will any other organization if they are to be used. The playing is to be level by law. The burden of proof would be upon the board to show an educational program and testing does not meet criteria.

IMHO Frank is correct that there is no apparent independant test out there which is publicly available. It is not practical for many to invest time and effort into a testing program and not recoup compensation for time and labor invested. Either a test must be written and free license given to the State of NH and all who take it or the wording of the law changed to fit circumstances. On the other hand, INACHI does have a free test for entrance into the organization. Such a test should meet the criteria as there is no guaranteed benefit to INACHI from those who take it. The test is taken then a request for membership is made by those who make a certain test score or above if and only if they desire to do so.

A first step for inclusion of the NACHI exam is to have it given at a protored site within the state of NH.

Aside from semantics and a “mine is better than yours” argument, the sole significant differences are that NACHI is open book, while NHIE is not, and NHIE is proctored, while NACHI is not.

Open and closed book tests are laughable. Since we do not perform calculations in our work, there is no need to memorize anything. Therefore, there is nothing contained within a book whereby we can “cheat”.

The only thinhg proctoring does is ensure that you are, in fact, the person taking the test and seeking credit for it.

As the president of the New Hampshire state chapter of NACHI I can offer a “NACHI proctored” test anytime and anywhere.

All I need to see is proper ID such as a New Hampshire drivers license.

As a matter of fact, I’m going to send out a “broadcast newsletter” and arrange this for all of our members.

I will arrange a date, time, and location where all of those who were interested in taking a NACHI proctored exam can meet me at a specific time and location and I will “check IDs” have them take the test, and then if and when they pass will issue a certificate to them!

Carla,
Since this is “your thread” and you are a member of the New Hampshire home inspectors licensing board I want you to clarify if this is going to be “acceptable” to the NH Licensing board or not!

If they “NACHI proctored examination” is not acceptable to you/ the licensing board I would like to know why!