NHIE Exam 2018 and thoughts..

Hi Guys,

Just passed my exam yesterday and this was my second time. I would have to say the exam was just as difficult as the last. It seemed to have a lot of construction and code related questions again along with the usual trickery. Some questions were easy, many not. I’m not sure how those questions will relate to the inspecting business but oh well.

I would like to say that I spent the last month taking every InterNACHI course I could to help prepare for the exam to further my studies and I think it helped. I had gone through Amerispec’s Academy in March and that was very good. Although, not coming from the business or related businesses, I think I needed more training. These courses on here helped me a ton and I think the training has been well worth the money.

I would like to say that if anyone has just joined and is training to become an inspector, I think it’s important that they take advantage of the InterNACHI courses. While the NHIE battery of questions may not relate well to my training at times, perhaps the courses taken was the edge I needed.

Thanks!

1 Like

Congrats.

The NHIE should not be used for licensing and we are suing them.

2 Likes

I will take my test soon do you have any advice? I’m studying

Dustin, study or take all the courses there are and the go back and take them again. Seriously, the subject matter will get ingrained into your head.

If you don’t know the answer to a question don’t spend a lot of time on it. Move on to the next question. Often, there will be hints, to the answers, in future questions that will help answer the ones that you moved past.

And lastly, there may be more than one correct answer to a question, choose the best answer.

Then, go back and re-read the past questions and answer them at the end or when you realize the best answer from other questions. The same thing applies, choose the best answer out off the multiple choices.

Good luck and relax knowing that you are prepared. :smiley:

2 Likes

Thanks for the advice. I’ve heard terrible things about the test and I’m just afraid there will be non home inspection questions that I’ll miss. I’m setting time each day and all day Sunday to study

I am in Alabama and we have to take two exams for state licensing and I think it is a waste to have to take the NHIE exam.

Also read Russell Burgess’s book on **“Real Estate Home Inspection: Mastering the Profession” **or something similar. Many of the NON home inspection questions came from there … i.e. asbestos, WDI, asbestos, etc

1 Like

Good advice^

I know this is an older post, but I’m surprised with your short answer Ben. Doesn’t seem like you to be so brief.

In Pennsylvania we are only required to be associated with either ASHI or InterNACHI. I get turned down often because I’m not ASHI certified. They think they know the rules for a home inspector but they only know what they’re told but other realtors who don’t know. Very frustrating. I have the inspections under my belt, just need to get the NHIE done and then I can be good to go.

Nick, what is the status of the lawsuit?