NYS Home Inspectors Contact Your Rep.'s

A copy of the letter I sent to Senators Savino and Lanza.

There are relatively few of us, a little noise wouldn’t hurt. Feel free to copy.

I am writing to ask for your support of Bill S4468-2011. This would allow NYS licensed Home Inspectors to fulfill their Continuing Education requirements online through NACHI.com
Having started in the Inspection industry in 1997, I know that NACHI is the foremost educational organization available to us as Home Inspectors today.
I find NACHI’s educational material to be equal to or more comprehensive and technically challenging than any other that I find the opportunity to purchase, regardless of Industry or trade organization.
The list of other States that accept CEU’s from NACHI is extensive.
Your support of this Bill would be greatly appreciated.

Christopher Mennella
NYS Licensed Home Inspector

It’s nachi.org , but they’ll understand what you mean. We’re getting a lot of support for the Bill. Thanks.

http://www.nysenate.gov/senators

Ah yes - old habits, I give up!

Is this an InterNACHI bill, or simply a bill amending the law to permit continuing education to include on-line offerings?

I would encourage support of the bill and state the reasons why. Let’s not cloud the bill with association endorsements. We do not need them at this juncture. We will need them later.

Senators have no control over who gets approved as an educator, what the delivery model will be, or what the certification process is.

They simply vote on whether they believe the amendment is worthwhile or not.

I believe that what I wrote amounts to just that: encouraging support of the bill with reasons why and that the notations made are relevant given the language of the bill as written::cool:

S4468-2011 Text

S T A T E O F N E W Y O R K

4468 2011-2012 Regular Sessions I N SENATE April 6, 2011
Introduced by Sen. O’MARA – (at request of the Department of State) - read twice and ordered printed, and when printed to be committed to the Committee on Judiciary AN ACT to amend the real property law and the general business in relation to the approval of distance learning courses for continuing education

THE PEOPLE OF THE STATE OF NEW YORK, REPRESENTED IN SENATE AND ASSEM BLY, DO ENACT AS FOLLOWS:

Section 1. Subdivision 1 of section 444-f of the real property law, as amended by chapter 225 of the laws of 2005, is amended to read as follows:

1. Home inspector licenses and renewals thereof shall be issued for a period of two years, except that the secretary may, in order to stagger the expiration date thereof, provide that those licenses first issued or renewed after the effective date of this section shall expire or become void on a date fixed by the secretary, not sooner than six months nor later than twenty-nine months after the date of issue. No renewal of a license shall be issued unless the applicant has successfully completed a course of continuing education approved by the secretary, in consulta tion with the council. THE SECRETARY MAY APPROVE COMPUTER-BASED AND DISTANCE-LEARNING COURSES SO LONG AS, IN HIS OR HER JUDGMENT, PROVIDERS SATISFACTORILY DEMONSTRATE THE ABILITY TO MONITOR AND VERIFY PARTIC IPATION BY THE APPLICANT FOR THE SPECIFIED TIME PERIOD. NOTWITHSTANDING THE FOREGOING AUTHORITY TO APPROVE COMPUTER-BASED AND DISTANCE-LEARNING COURSES, THE SECRETARY MAY PRESCRIBE THAT SPECIFIED SUBJECTS OR HOURS MUST BE PRESENTED IN A CLASSROOM SETTING.

S 2. Subdivision 1 of section 794 of the general business law, as amended by chapter 301 of the laws of 2000, is amended to read as follows:

1. Prior to the expiration of a certificate of registration and as a condition of renewal, each hearing aid dispenser registered pursuant to EXPLANATION–Matter in ITALICS (underscored) is new; matter in brackets ] is old law to be omitted. LBD09430-01-1

S. 4468 2 subdivision one of section seven hundred ninety of this article shall submit documentation showing successful completion of twenty continuing education credits through a course or courses approved by the secretary in consultation with the advisory board, or, in relation to audiologists licensed pursuant to article one hundred fifty-nine of the education law, the office of the professions in the education department. Such formal courses of learning shall include, but not be limited to, colle giate level of credit in non-credit courses, professional development programs and technical sessions offered by national, state and local professional associations and other organizations acceptable to the secretary and any other organized educational and technical programs acceptable to the secretary. The secretary may, in his or her discretion, and as needed to contribute to the health and welfare of the public, require the completion of continuing education courses in specific subjects to fulfill this mandatory continuing education requirement. Courses shall be taken from a sponsor approved by the secretary pursuant to regulations promulgated pursuant to this section. THE SECRETARY MAY APPROVE COMPUTER-BASED AND DISTANCE-LEARNING COURSES SO LONG AS, IN HIS OR HER JUDGMENT, PROVIDERS SATISFACTORILY DEMONSTRATE THE ABILITY TO MONITOR AND VERIFY PARTICIPATION BY THE APPLICANT FOR THE SPECIFIED TIME PERIOD. NOTWITHSTANDING THE FOREGOING AUTHORITY TO APPROVE COMPUTER-BASED AND DISTANCE-LEARNING COURSES, THE SECRETARY MAY PRESCRIBE THAT SPECIFIED SUBJECTS OR HOURS MUST BE PRESENTED IN A CLASS ROOM SETTING.

S 3. This act shall take effect immediately.