Ohio Home Inspector Licensing Law Update

On April 5, 2019, the law requiring Ohio home inspectors to have a license becomes effective. However, the law does not permit the Ohio home inspector licensing program to begin until the last appointment to the Ohio Home Inspector Board (Board) is made. The latest date the final appointment may be made is July 4, 2019.

Please see attached update. For additional information, visit InterNACHI’s Ohio Home Inspector Page.

We have everything you need: How to Become a Licensed Home Inspector in Ohio - InterNACHI

Hey Nick,

Thanks for posting this information. I’ve only been in business for a year. If the only way to be grandfathered in is to meet the three points you have in blue in that linked document, I need to get to the House of Horrors before the April 5th date. The Florida HoH is a long way for me to go, so I want to check and see what happens there that gives me documentation that I’ve accomplished that point? Also, what are the hours it is open?

Nate
INSIGHT HOME INSPECTION SERVICES

If you have passed the NHIE, have 80 hours of continuing education and have submitted 5 mock inspections thru interNACHI, I believe that will cover the 3 requirements

Meant to reply to Nick directly…

I have not taken the NHIE - just the InterNACHI exam.

Hey Nick,

Thanks for posting this information. I’ve only been in business for a year. If the only way to be grandfathered in is to meet the three points you have in blue in that linked document, I need to get to the House of Horrors before the April 5th date. The Florida HoH is a long way for me to go, so I want to check and see what happens there that gives me documentation that I’ve accomplished that point? Also, what are the hours it is open?

Nate
INSIGHT HOME INSPECTION SERVICES

I just ran across this on another website school for home inspectors and Ohio laws.
Can you verify what is correct since Sept 2019? It is all so confusing to me…
Do the four Mock inspections we do to complete our InterNachi (and take the final exam) count towards Ohio’s statement in the Grandfather section of : *** Prepared at least five home inspection reports that have been verified as being compliant with standards adopted by a national home inspector organization;***
Ohio’s home inspector licensing law passed in Jan. 2019, and takes effect Nov. 1, 2019
Ohio Home Inspector Grandfathering Requirements
(Expected to start in late spring)

• Submit fingerprint-based criminal records check
  • Proof of General liability insurance ($100,000/$300,000 aggregate)
    AND meet any three (3) of the following:
  • Completed at least 200 home inspections for compensation from clients;
  • Successfully passed a national home inspector examination within two years from the date an application is submitted to the Division;
  • Actively operated a home inspection business in Ohio for three years;
  • Was employed as a home inspector with a home inspector business for 36 consecutive months;
  • Successfully completed 80 hours of home inspector education;
  • Currently maintains an active home inspector license in a jurisdiction where the requirements to obtain that license are substantially similar to Ohio’s home inspector license requirements;
  • Prepared at least five home inspection reports that have been verified as being compliant with standards adopted by a national home inspector organization;
  • Completed at least one peer review session conducted by a national home inspector organization within one year prior to April 5, 2019.
    Article from https://www.homeinspectioninstitute.com/state-licensing.php?statecode=OH
    Thanks!

Hi Dakota, yes the 4 mock inspections count. I have attached a link that might help. can be accessed here

If you read the grand fathering clauses about taking the exam it does not say you must take “The National Home Inspector Examination”.
It says "Successfully passed a national home inspector examination within two years from the date an application is submitted to the Division.
The key there is “A” not “The”. It does not specify which one. And if it was “The National Home Inspector Examination” it would be capitalized. Its very poorly written.

True Mark, it is poorly written. I called the division initially, and if you need the exam for one of your 3 qualifications, they do mean THE NHIE, which is a proctored exam.
On the initial State information page they even had the wrong phone number to call! It was not even a working number! The correct number to call is 614-466-4100

You guys have to take an exam to be grandfathered in?

Us newer guys do. If you have not been in business for 3 years prior to April 5, 2019 and completed 200 inspections before that date. I was close with the 200 but have not been in business for 3 years. I took the NHIE. I didn’t think it was too hard. The hardest part was paying $225.00 to take it!

How do they prove you haven’t been in business for 3 years and haven’t done 200 inspections?

Actually Roy, on the application you check box the items you have and get the page notarized. They didn’t ask for any proof of test scores, education hours etc. They only wanted proof of insurance.
The rest was on your honor!

Thanks
I was just curious .

Nick…thanks!!! One more question. As I am working now on five not four inspections (you know because Ohio requires five inspections), the other thing it says is “I need to have completed 80 hrs of the program…of courses…” I massively paraphrased that one…LOL…how many hours do I earn through InterNachi and how do I ‘count them up’ from the things I have completed already? Thanks!

120: www.nachi.org/pre . You need not count them, we count them.

Dakota, as Nick said. They keep track. You can go to your dashboard and look and print your completed courses and hours.
You are always welcome to call/email me if you have any questions about your application etc. I may be able to help.