Go Back   InterNACHI Inspection Forum > >

Notices

Legislation, Licensing, Ethics & Legal Issues for Inspectors Use this forum to discuss current and proposed legislation on home inspector licensing, and other legal issues affecting home inspectors. Inspectors from all associations welcome.

Old 4/8/13, 3:14 AM
Certified Master Inspector ®

Default Re: Had to sue an ASHI chapter for claiming ASHI is the largest inspection associatio

Quote:
Originally Posted by gromicko View Post
The ruling was correct. The recommendation was correct.
Quote:
Again, I don't seek to change either of them.
So the subject at hand, Nathan, has lost his membership and message board privileges for 12 months?
Need a home inspection in Arkansas? Check out InterNACHI's listing of Arkansas certified home inspectors. Or, find a home inspector anywhere in the world with our inspection search engine.
Old 4/8/13, 4:18 AM
Certified Master Inspector

Default Re: Had to sue an ASHI chapter for claiming ASHI is the largest inspection associatio

Now if your attorney can make ASHI send letters to every RE office in North America to tell them of the slip up and offer a nice pre-fabricated write-up about InterNACHI (as most have never heard of us) and all of its wonderful members that would be dandy. As you know, ASHI is #1 at promoting its members to the industry
Old 4/8/13, 4:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sstanczyk View Post
They won't be. You may find out the overall results, but the communications, deliberations and votes of the Committee will not be published.
Hardly confidence inspiring that the collective finding of an ethics committee adjudication and recommendation is not accessible to the membership who have been aggrieved. The membership deserves to have this information.

An honest government is an open government.

Chuck Evans (TREC #7657)
Level III Infraspection Institute Certified Infrared Thermographer (#8402)
HomeCert Houston Home Inspections & Thermal Inspections Find us on Facebook
The Woodlands Home Inspections
Magnolia TX Home Inspections & Thermography

Houston, TX

SUBMIT YOUR AWARD NOMINATIONS HERE

The InterNACHI Awards Committee is the final authority of issuance of any award the committee offers.
Old 4/8/13, 5:08 AM
Certified Professional Inspector (CPI)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cevans View Post
Hardly confidence inspiring that the collective finding of an ethics committee adjudication and recommendation is not accessible to the membership who have been aggrieved. The membership deserves to have this information.

An honest government is an open government.
The information has already been posted any number of times. The defendant was found guilty of multiple ethics violations. A 1 year membership and message board suspension was the recommendation of the Committee. We expected it to be implemented. The owner of this association decided that a single vendor was more important than the decades old ethical standards of the association and refused to implement the decision of the Committee.

The public does not get information on jury deliberations during a trial. They get the results. Nothing more. Same here.

Stephen Stanczyk
Washington State Licensed Home Inspector # 221
President, Washington Association of Property Inspectors (WAPI)

RETIRED

Pierce County -Thurston County - King County - Kitsap County
Old 4/8/13, 8:43 AM
Certified Master Inspector

My guess is we will all have to wait to see just how Mr. Thornbury is received by the membership after his 30-day boycott of the NACHI message board has concluded.

Nick can drag the membership to water, but he can't make us drink.

As for me and my family... We've sworn to never vote for another white man as long as there is a viable woman or minority candidate, I suggest you take the same pledge.

Certified Master Inspector - 2010
Florida Licensed Home Inspector - HI176
Florida Licensed Mold Assessor - MRSA208

Square-One Inspection "Assurance begins here"
Old 4/8/13, 10:04 AM

Quote:
I'm not on the ESOP committee. If you have a problem with their ruling or if you have a problem with their recommendation, I suggest you take it up with them. I don't seek to change either of the two.
I recognize this technique that Nick may be using in defense of his obvious actions to overrule the ESOP Committee. In the insurance world ... it is called "Delay, Deny and Defend" and it is a very effective process.

Insurance companies, due to some very recent and expensive natural disaster events and billions of dollars in insurable losses, are bleeding a lot of money. Many are going under while big companies are paying out record numbers of dollars.

A new strategy was recently employed in order to get people to walk away from their insurance claims or to accept lower payments. This strategy is to make the claims process cumbersome for the insured and to delay payments as long as possible, deny their liability whenever it looks like they can creatively interpret the policy in their favor and get an insured client to accept it, or defend against valid claims until forced by the threat of or actual court intervention ... and then offering a lowball settlement.

Even when they know that they are wrong and owe the money and know that they will eventually be required to pay if taken all the way to court, the insurance company stands firm and continues to delay, deny and defend against the just claims of its insureds knowing that they stand to gain more by doing so than they stand to lose.

Many (if not most) frustrated home and business owners will walk away, pay out of their own pockets and hire a different insurer while many others will accept the lowball offers, grumble about it and carry on with business as usual. Insurance companies can then keep all or most of the money they would have had to pay ... and call it "profit".

It works.

Public adjusters and lawyers work for insured home and business owners to see the process through and force the insurance company to pay their clients ... but most insureds will try to work out things on their own and will simply walk away leaving their money on the table as a reward to the insurance company for its efforts.

In this case ... by continuing to delay, deny and defend his decision and actions to overrule the ESOP Committee ... it appears that Nick might be betting that, by doing so, this matter will simply die down and go away as many have in the past.

I could be wrong, but somehow I think that this time it will work out to be different.

Last edited by jbushart; 4/8/13 at 11:00 AM..
Old 4/8/13, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sstanczyk View Post
The information has already been posted any number of times. The defendant was found guilty of multiple ethics violations. A 1 year membership and message board suspension was the recommendation of the Committee. We expected it to be implemented. The owner of this association decided that a single vendor was more important than the decades old ethical standards of the association and refused to implement the decision of the Committee.

The public does not get information on jury deliberations during a trial. They get the results. Nothing more. Same here.
Link please.

I have seen nothing that wouldn't be considered as hearsay and might get someone in the sights of an over zealous little litigant that is likely soon to be stalking the boards if they were repeated as fact.

I am after the official version. The one that should be readily accessible to any new members wishing to due diligence research into the history of the vendor in question.

Chuck Evans (TREC #7657)

Houston, TX

The InterNACHI Awards Committee is the final authority of issuance of any award the committee offers.
Old 4/8/13, 11:54 AM
Banned

Please Note: kwood is a non-member guest and is in no way affiliated with InterNACHI or its members.

Chuck I would not agree with the sanction either however if he was warned repeatedly which I do not know then yes I would agree.
Old 4/8/13, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Link please.

I have seen nothing that wouldn't be considered as hearsay and might get someone in the sights of an over zealous little litigant that is likely soon to be stalking the boards if they were repeated as fact.

I am after the official version. The one that should be readily accessible to any new members wishing to due diligence research into the history of the vendor in question.
As stated ... the committee made a formal and official report to Nick. Ask him to publish it. If he refuses, ask him to send you a copy of it by email. If he refuses both requests ... wonder to yourself "Why?".
Old 4/8/13, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbushart View Post
As stated ... the committee made a formal and official report to Nick. Ask him to publish it. If he refuses, ask him to send you a copy of it by email. If he refuses both requests ... wonder to yourself "Why?".
I have done so in this very thread. Nick claims that he cannot. So I am looking to find out who can. Apparently Nick feels that his hands are tied and that he is not allowed to do what is right and proper for the membership.

I'm trying to find out who has Nick's hands tied on the matter. Stephen said it was already published, I want to see where.

This information should be accessible to all current members and all future members who might want to vet this vendor.

Chuck Evans (TREC #7657)

Houston, TX

Old 4/8/13, 12:25 PM

Quote:
I have done so in this very thread. Nick claims that he cannot. So I am looking to find out who can.
Nick "cannot" publish an official report that was sent to him by the very Committee that he controls and disagrees with ... on his very own message board?

Right.

Compare this to things that he has published and then consider that, if this report actually differed from the published accounts of it, how quickly he would have already published it ... even without your request.

Last edited by jbushart; 4/8/13 at 12:33 PM..
Old 4/8/13, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbushart View Post
Nick "cannot" publish an official report that was sent to him by the very Committee that he controls and disagrees with ... on his very own message board?

Right.

Compare this to things that he has published and then consider that, if this report actually differed from the published accounts of it, how quickly he would have already published it ... even without your request.
See Nick's previous post in this thread

Quote:
Chuck recommends:
Quote:
Publish them to the members
That's another good recommendation I can't follow. I know, I'm not winning any popularity contests.
If Nick can't, I want to know who can. He acknowledges that it is a good thing to do. Don't you agree that the facts in the matter should be exposed to the membership?

Chuck Evans (TREC #7657)

Houston, TX

Last edited by cevans; 4/8/13 at 12:52 PM..
Old 4/8/13, 1:02 PM

Quote:
Don't you agree that the facts in the matter should be exposed to the membership?
I think that the facts have already been provided to the members by the co-chair of the committee that took the action and by at least one additional member of that same committee.

If members are looking for substantiation of those facts for their own reasons, they are in Nick's possession in the form of the official report to him. If he refuses to publish the report ... as he obviously can in spite of any claims to the contrary ... it is for a reason that he has yet to satisfactorily explain.

Since Thornberry is also fond of threatening others with frivolous lawsuits, your concern is understandable.
Need a home inspection in Arkansas? Check out InterNACHI's listing of Arkansas certified home inspectors. Or, find a home inspector anywhere in the world with our inspection search engine.
Old 4/8/13, 1:12 PM
Active Poster

Jim writes:
Quote:
If members are looking for substantiation of those facts for their own reasons, they are in Nick's possession in the form of the official report to him. If he refuses to publish the report ... as he obviously can in spite of any claims to the contrary ... it is for a reason that he has yet to satisfactorily explain.
Correct. I said that "I" can't do it (for reasons I won't explain). I didn't say that ESOP can't.
Old 4/8/13, 1:19 PM

Quote:
Jim writes:Correct. I said that "I" can't do it (for reasons I won't explain). I didn't say that ESOP can't.
LOL.

They did. It was published by the Co-Chair of the special committee ... on the same message board where you allegedly "can't". It was repeated and/or validated by other committee members, as well. You seem to be the only person with the official communication who "can't" publish it on your own message board ... for reasons that you can, but refuse, to explain.

Those who are asking for proof of the report are doing so, in my opinion, in the process of giving you the benefit of a doubt. They also fear, I believe, that the vendor you protected at their expense might also threaten them with same frivolous lawsuits that he has threatened others with. That seems to be the new fad around here ... this thread being no exception, IMO.

Last edited by jbushart; 4/8/13 at 1:33 PM..