They Need Our Help In Kansas

If you do not know what to write on your own, you may want to use this as a model. It is a letter I sent to a senate hearing on the bill that now sits on the Governor’s desk.

Please take the time, no matter where you live, to send a one or two line email to the governor of kansas asking to veto the home inspection licensing bill.

I have e-mailed the Govenor of Kansas several times. I have sent letters, e-mails to all of my Senators, even got a response from Dennis Moore, from Washington. I have done everything I can. I just do not have enough money to pay these people to vote the right way. I am just a little guy. Just think of the money flowing. I went to my first hearing in February, and could smell the money in the room then. I wonder how much money is flowing from the oil companies. It is quite a game. It is all about money.

I have just got done sending a message to the Kansas Governor, and if anything else I can do just let me know.

I just emailed a bunch of our guys out in the KC area, letting them know I’ll be there this weekend-
boy, what a bunch of stirred up hornets we have out there now!

I do not understand why realtors, insurance agents, and engineers are exempt from HB 2315 here in Kansas. They will be able to perform inspections for a smaller fee, even for free. Future home buyers of Kansas will never get another honest inspection ever again. No one will be paying the board for a license, because there will be no inspectors to join the Kansas board, and the board/State of Kansas will not have enough funds to support it. I know several inspectors who used to be realtors, who can get their RE license, and be exempt from all of the new inspector laws. I am surprised that ASHI, NACHI, and NAPI do not scream at this one, because most all inspectors in the state will be no longer in business, and the agencies will loose members, and income. I will be one of them. Unless, I can start selling trailers part time. They are exempt, too.

When I first read your post, I thought you were really stretching it. “What client in his right mind would pay his real estate salesman to do an inspection for him?”

Then I thought for a minute.

It may as well be the same client who allows his salesman to hire and schedule the inspector who does it…who he “uses all the time” and trusts, etc.

Why not cut out the middle man when you have already smoothed over the conflict the interest?

The truly sad part about all of this almost 100% of the licensing bills that were signed into law were instituted by home inspectors seeking a way to gain an edge over their competition. It appears throughout history we can find examples of those who are willing to sell their birthright for a full belly.

“…When Jacob had cooked stew, Esau came in from the field and he was famished; and Esau said to Jacob, ‘Please let me have a swallow of that red stuff there, for I am famished.’ Therefore his name was called Edom. But Jacob said, ‘First sell me your birthright.’ Esau said, ‘Behold, I am about to die; so of what use then is the birthright to me?’ And Jacob said, 'First swear to me”; so he swore to him, and sold his birthright to Jacob. Then Jacob gave Esau bread and lentil stew; and he ate and drank, and rose and went on his way. Thus Esau despised his birthright." (Genesis 25:29-34).

While I agree with you, I think the problem goes much deeper and is based more on greed than need.

Special interest groups from our industry…those who sell tests (NHIE), those who sell education (ITA/Kaplan), and those who seek employment with them…represent themselves to legislatures as home inspectors who want to be licensed.

The state real estate sales associations team with them and present…to the unknowing legislators…their agenda.

Meanwhile…home inspectors unfortunate enough to be reliant upon salesmen for their work are forced to remain silent.

I think that there is more cowardice than any other ignoble characteristic that allows those pushing these bills to find success.

Joe B. is right as far as Ga. goes, at Joe F. class the Nachi Atlanta chapter admitted to being the ones who initiated the bill., and the president said he was hoping to get the top seat on the board.

I have sent my concerns to the Governor, as have many of my family. I don’t have much hope, but who knows? :frowning: I am pretty sure this will put me out of business.
Maybe I could get a real estate license and still just do inspections?

Jim,
You need to xix the link on “this” because this is what comes up.
Could not find the requested document in the cache.

Nix the link.

It will serve much better to reference the brave actions and common sense application of the good governor of Georgia. Let the Kansas Governor know that she is among good company when she says “no” to the special interest groups looking to line their own pockets from Kansas legislation.

Jim,
Many of us are unaware of the;

1. Bill Number
  2. The “Text” of the bill.
  3. The MAIN points of objection.

Please provide all of the above so that those who are willing, will contact the powers that be.

I have NO IDEA of what you are talking about.

The governor of Georgia applied common sense over private interests and stopped the idiocy by vetoing the home inspection licensing bill that passed both houses of the Georgea congress.

Kansas needs to follow the same example.

Sounds like what we need in New Hampshire!

The key is to keep the governor’s phone ringing along with the emails. they have to know that what they are doing is unpopular.

Here you go Frank; House Bill 1217
House Bill 1217 provides a regime to license Georgia’s home inspectors. I am cognizant and respectful of the fact that the advocates for the legislation chose to use and were approved by the Georgia Occupational Regulation Review Council (GORRC). I have come to believe that GORRC review should be the initial threshold for the creation of a new licensing board. I am also aware that the private sector provides several, voluntary professional organizations to achieve the goals of the legislation. It is my preference that the market – not the State – regulate as many of our industries as possible. Thus, in order to not supplant the good work of the free market with taxpayer funds, I VETO House Bill 1217.

There is still time, Kansas.

This bill was sent to your Governor for her signature on 5/8 and it has yet to be signed.

If you do not want to make the call, send the email.

The ASHI President who pushed this bill, Jeff Barnes, told the newspapers in his press releases that this bill is being “championed” by you, the home inspector. We know that is a lie…but how will your Governor know if you do not inform her of the truth?

A couple of years, the governor of Florida listened to his constituents and vetoed the bill. This year, the Governor of Georgia has done the same. Perhaps your Governor is smart enough to see through the lies and deceit this bill is wrapped up in.