Go Back   InterNACHI Inspection Forum > >

Notices

Legislation, Licensing, Ethics & Legal Issues for Inspectors Use this forum to discuss current and proposed legislation on home inspector licensing, and other legal issues affecting home inspectors. Inspectors from all associations welcome.

Closed Thread

Old 5/11/13, 2:29 PM
InterNACHI Member

Please Note: swaylandsmith1 is a non-member guest and is in no way affiliated with InterNACHI or its members.
Default Re: NEW Vendor Code of Ethics

Isn't Dale Duffy a vendor? I would like to hear his thoughts.
Need a home inspection in District Of Columbia? Check out InterNACHI's listing of District Of Columbia certified home inspectors. Or, find a home inspector anywhere in the world with our inspection search engine.
Old 5/11/13, 2:31 PM
Certified Professional Inspector (CPI) ®

Do you think office max, lowes, hertz, avis are going to pay dues? They provide discounts to members so I would think they could be vendors, correct? I don't want to lose those discounts.

I guess that is another thing...what is the definition of vendor? What about inspector vendors?

Although many think this may be the "ole boys" club, be very careful, this is not a club, or a gaggle of guys, this is a Federally guided Non-Profit entity. That is its own set of rules itself. I do not know them all, but be very careful and although Nick rules the roost, the Feds own it...one way or another and very specific guidelines must be met.

Comprehensive Building Consultants
Naples Home Inspection, Naples Mold Inspection, Naples Radon Inspection, Bonita Springs Home Inspection, Bonita Springs Mold Inspection, Bonita Springs Radon Inspection.

Old 5/11/13, 2:41 PM
Community Guest

any chance that Dom, or Ben Garrison or others will chime in
Old 5/11/13, 3:04 PM
InterNACHI Member

Please Note: swaylandsmith1 is a non-member guest and is in no way affiliated with InterNACHI or its members.

okay I'm back, too damn hot to work in the brush, Russell, yes all those you listed are vendors, and that is fine. However if they want direct access to the internachi membership then they have to join. Think about it, for 500 bucks a year they get in your face direct contact with every single member. Pretty cheap marketing in my book, and they would know that every single person viewing their post is a true potential customer. Hell, there you go Nick, a whole new revenue stream.
Old 5/11/13, 3:08 PM
Certified Professional Inspector (CPI)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nthornberry View Post
I'll chime in for Ben on one front, as a licensed insurance professional...

We ARE NOT permitted to share the rates we charge people for risk management products, regardless of what the VCOE says. Period.

So he's out on sharing those details...hey Dom, how do you feel about sharing what you charge every member here and what discount each got whenever Bushart gets a bug up his butt about someone saying your software rocks?
Please post your license information.

As a Professional Home Inspector, I support the privacy of my clients.

You own your private information. I won't sell or give away yours, others do

www.InspectraPro.com
www.MinnesotaHomeInspector.biz

Michael Larson
Hudson, WI

Services provided in East MN and West WI

Call me

Old 5/11/13, 3:09 PM
Certified Master Inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhensel View Post
Still waiting on the true definition of the term "compensation". I get compensated by using Nathan's products. I get happy clients, which turns into happy realtors which turns into more referrals which equates to more money.

I finally figured out why some of these people act the way they do because no matter where they go they must take themselves along. Being with that person 24/7 would make me miserable too....

Nick the guy at hertz is renting me a car illegally. I mean I can't prove it, hertz refused to hand over every document they had concerning their business model, procedures and licensing. The nerve of that company. Please take them off the referral list
I get compensated simply knowing you are here posting nonsense.

Let us never forget... Hillary Clinton won the Popular Vote.

Certified Master Inspector - 2010
Florida Licensed Home Inspector - HI176
Florida Licensed Mold Assessor - MRSA208

Square-One Inspection "Assurance begins here"
Old 5/11/13, 3:20 PM
InterNACHI Member

Nathan, I am still on the fence about you but here is an idea, lets see what you do with it. Become an agent, represent the titans of business, ie: Home depot, Lowes, Staples, Office Max, you get the idea. Set up an IT guy to do nothing but post for them, they have to pay the dues, you get a percentage of the profits. I would love to have a central spot to go to see offers from all the players for tools, office supplies etc. Just an idea, and remember play by the rules, we are watching!
Old 5/11/13, 3:29 PM

The new vendor code of ethics, while hardly enough, is a great start.

Already, in its draft form, it has revealed how it provokes the ire of one vendor who forbids, by threat of lawsuit, any negative responses to his products by those who contract with him to buy them.

Apparently, while squashing criticism from them under the threat of frivolous and expensive litigation, he is somehow threatened by the idea of revealing the identity of inspectors that he compensates for promoting his products. Looks like he needs to have it both ways ... and with total anonymity.

Remember ... the vendor code of ethics will not restrict a vendor from giving as many kickbacks as he wants to his shills. All the vendor has to do is disclose who they are compensating. Very, very simple.

No ethical vendor, thus far, has voiced any concern about this. I doubt that very many, if any, will.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbraun View Post
I got burnt for $200 from a vendor years ago that was being praising by some inspectors. The vendor took a lot of inspectors money, did not provide the product and then left NACHI. I confronted one of those inspectors and asked him, why he praised a guy that later found out to be a crook? This inspector told me because this vendor gave him products for free.
Just something to think about.

Last edited by jbushart; 5/11/13 at 3:38 PM..
Old 5/11/13, 3:40 PM

Quote:
Please show us one vendor that has voiced approval.
As far as I know, Nick did not put his code of ethics for vendors up for a vote.

So far, no ethical vendor has objected to it.
Old 5/11/13, 3:47 PM

Quote:
That's called InterNACHI! The association with (currently) the most member benefits of any organization in home inspection history!

Of course, if anyone posts anything positive about say, the Liberty Mutual discount, according to Jim Bushart, we can now march on their offices, demand all of their internal documents and the price they charged that member, etc.

If Jim's interpretation is completely off, and InterNACHI does want to maintain member benefits with these big companies that couldn't possibly allow the interpretive enforcement of these provisions, then lets clarify the rules to say specifically that Bushart is wrong in his assertions.

Like I've stated multiple times, this isn't about me. Most of my stuff is free anyways. I don't need to "compensate" in the form of discounts, so make cash payments against the rules.

I bring this up as an issue because I saw exactly where Dirty Mike and the Boys would go with it, Bushart proved me right, and there's not a real company in this country that would comply with his interpretation of this.
Sacrebleu! I feel like a Frenchman standing on the Maginot Line in 1940, which is now many miles behind enemy lines.

Old 5/11/13, 3:47 PM

Quote:
So the answer is none then? That's what I thought...

As demonstrated above, these rules as you personally interpret them are not feasible. Companies cannot get approval to adhere to them.
If this vendor's business model does not allow him to comply with these very simple and benign ethical requirements, perhaps he should seek a different venue.

I don't think his fictitious scenarios, feverish spinning or his malicious venom is having the effect that he was hoping it would. To the contrary, he proves with each post how correct Nick was in presenting this very simple and easy requirement to simply disclose compensation to members who promote his products.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbraun View Post
I got burnt for $200 from a vendor years ago that was being praising by some inspectors. The vendor took a lot of inspectors money, did not provide the product and then left NACHI. I confronted one of those inspectors and asked him, why he praised a guy that later found out to be a crook? This inspector told me because this vendor gave him products for free.
Just something to think about.

Last edited by jbushart; 5/11/13 at 4:14 PM..
Old 5/11/13, 3:53 PM

The way James and Mike throw the word shill around I believe it's time for a logo

Safe House Property Inspections

Virginia Beach Home Inspector

Hampton Roads Home Inspector

Professional home inspector serving Virginia Beach, Norfolk, Suffolk, Portsmouth, and Chesapeake 757-418-0944
Old 5/11/13, 4:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpappas View Post
The way James and Mike throw the word shill around I believe it's time for a logo
Believe me, in the Official NACHI Illustrated Dictionary, I'd be like looking into a mirror.

Need a home inspection in District Of Columbia? Check out InterNACHI's listing of District Of Columbia certified home inspectors. Or, find a home inspector anywhere in the world with our inspection search engine.
Old 5/11/13, 4:05 PM
Certified Professional Inspector (CPI) ®

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpappas View Post
No lie...cant wait for Nick to contact Hertz and tell them that they have to pay $500 for the discount they give inspectors. That should be a hoot!

The direction this looks to be heading is that they will say anything and EVERYTHING is compensation. O look the Thornberry's bought another house and Russell did the inspection..he was COMPENSATED because he uses Nathans products.

Russell got a book, he was compensated! Nick, did every single inspector get a roll of toilet paper? If not then please, do not offer unfair compensation. I notice you gave Billy a lifetime membership for being the millionth whatever. This was not publicly announced and not every single NACHI member knew about it and it was not emailed to every inspector, so those who post here had an unfair advantage over the other members and Billy was unfairly compensated over the other members.

Now lets get to the word "compensation" for the 100th time, what is 'compensation'?

Second exactly what is a 'vendor'? Hell am I considered a vendor? I sold stuff on here to other members using this message board.

What about Christmas presents? Are they compensation?

If we are talking actually monies being transferred for good favor, then I would agree. Cash for BS is not permitted. But have fun proving that, anyone with 1/2 a brain can hide that.

What it seems to me is this is going to turn into a technicality nightmare beneficial to no one.

Nick, Nick, Nick.....Russell got a Christmas card from Nathan! That is unfair compensation....read the rules, you said it right here in the COE....

If you want to say, a Vendor shall not offer financial compensation in the form of cash, check or credit card....then I would agree...I think everyone would.

Comprehensive Building Consultants
Naples Home Inspection, Naples Mold Inspection, Naples Radon Inspection, Bonita Springs Home Inspection, Bonita Springs Mold Inspection, Bonita Springs Radon Inspection.

Old 5/11/13, 4:07 PM

Quote:
We're licensed as an insurer in several states, as mentioned and shown on this forum multiple times in multiple threads- I know this is hard for Dirty Mike and the Boys but TRY to stay on topic...
Where is you license numb nuts?

How many is several?

As a Professional Home Inspector, I support the privacy of my clients.

You own your private information. I won't sell or give away yours, others do

www.InspectraPro.com
www.MinnesotaHomeInspector.biz

Michael Larson
Hudson, WI

Services provided in East MN and West WI

Call me

Closed Thread