Virginia Licensing for general home inspections and new construction

Virginia goes to licensing July 1. Anyone certified prior to that will be grandfathered in.

Also, regulations regarding new residential structure inspections become effective. Home inspectors not carrying the NRS designation cannot perform inspections on new construction. Anyone wishing to perform inspections on new construction must pass a module of training to gain the designation, and of course pay a fee I’m sure.

Nachi doing any work to get training approval for the new construction?
The training module is going to be code based.

Here is a copy of the latest draft I could find. Along with the information regarding the licensing and NRS endorsement, there is a disclosure section that bears reading.

https://lis.virginia.gov/cgi-bin/legp604.exe?161+ful+HB741

Where do you see the letter “NRS” in that regulation?

http://www.dpor.virginia.gov/Boards/ALHI/HI_Licensure/

“A person without the NRS designation will be prohibited by law from conducting home inspections of new residential structures.”

In the section under licenses, line E addresses new residential structures. NRS.

Thanks Troy. I debated which to post.

So to understand your law ONLY a NRS can look at NEW HOMES.

Well that makes sense, because who in the world but a NRS could know if a newly built house is OK.
Which professions fingers do you see in this little gem.**

Builders. There were home inspectors misquoting code on reports. The gorilla in the room got angry.

I new (and said) this day was coming soon.

I just talked to the commission and it won’t be until around April ish till they come out and publish the requirements. They are leaning towards following Maryland’s requirements of a 72 hour classroom course then the NHIE to qualify, but they are still working on it.

Jim

They have already changed the cert requirements. Full distance learning no longer accepted. Fortunately, certified inspectors are supposed to issued a license. Would be nice if they would get the module ready for the new construction ready.

There was also some issue with inspectors quoting code when the local code official may have approved a variance. Counties can also decide to not adopt sections of the state code, which causes some issues when crossing county lines. I always refer any possible code issues to the local building department to clarify with the buyer.

Seems many years ago HI’s running their mouths quoting codes they had no authority OR sometimes competence to quote got 1 of the Carolina’s licensed

Dan, that is also one reason why licensing gets implemented. HI’s themselves quote things (code issues) that they know nothing about, trying to impress buyers and then also find and dictate “defects” to get a leg up on their competition. Then, they wonder why licensing happens. Sad that most cities and counties have few AHJ’s to check home building, and most really do not do the proper job.

My question?
Why are home inspectors evening considering building codes?
Codes change mostly every three years and homes built prior to the change are not required to be updated to new codes.
I inspect home from late 1800’s to 2017, it is impossible for me to be well versed in all of the changes over that time span.
A home inspection is not a code inspection InterNACHI,. ASHI and most other organization SOP state that an inspection does not include building code compliance.
An inspector quoting building code violations maybe setting themselves up for legal action from the seller should the buyer back out as a result.
Additionally a locality can adopt apart or all of new codes. Do you know what the locality in your area has chosen not to adopt? Just because they use IRC 2012 does not mean they adopted the entire book.

I believe a license requirement is a great idea and should have been in place years ago.

The new NRS is code related in only one section. That section has to do with the locality code official and their role as compared to the home inspector.

HI’s are not code inspectors and should not be quoting code violations.

According to the local building office, the module for the NRS is complete. The powers that be are having difficulty finding instructors. Nick, want to come to Va?

I’m submitting my package to the DPOR today for state licensing after passing the NHIE (only took me two times) Tues.

From what I can gather, from talking to the talking head at the DPOR, my only restriction will be inspecting new homes until I get the NRS red tape done.

In the end, it won’t impact my business to much as most of my inspection work is older homes, however, I have been getting an increase in requests for inspections from new home buyers (mostly Ryan Homes) looking to get a Inspection at the 11 Month Window for Warranty issues. My intention is to turn those down, unless of course a 11 month old house doesn’t qualify as a new home. Of course the talking head could not answer that question.

Thought I’d search the forums to see if there was anything more on it here. Question is, has anyone found an approved place to take this course? If so, can you provide?

Just read some information that was published on 04/17/2017 and effective this date as well regarding the new licensing for VA.

"These regulations do not prohibit individuals from performing home inspections for hire provided they do not hold themselves out as or use the title of “certified home inspector,” or conduct or offer to provide a “certified home inspection.”

I have attached the link: the above statement is on page ii
http://www.dpor.virginia.gov/uploadedFiles/MainSite/Content/Boards/ALHI/A506-33REGS_HI.pdf

However, on the DPOR site it says you must be licensed at of 07/01/17 to be able to perform home inspections. Any thoughts?

Certification has been in place for 10 or so years. 7/1/17 they are moving to licensure.

As mentioned in this thread, starting July 1, 2017, the state of Virginia will only allow licensed home inspectors to perform inspections. Being a “certified” member of a trade association will not automatically be granted a license. Only currently Virginia state board certified inspectors will be licensed.

How many guys will be left hanging in the wind because of this? I know of one inspector who told an agent he will automatically be granted a license but he never got board certified.

How many inspections will take place by unlicensed inspectors before someone gets caught?

You know it will happen. Maybe do consulting instead of inspections?
Wonder if DPOR is going to send a list of licensed inspectors out to the Realtors?

Basically, until July 1, anyone can do a home inspection, certified or not. However until then you cannot call yourself a certified inspector unless you have been certified by Va. After July 1, you will have to be licensed.