Washington Licensed Inspectors

As of 7/21/2010, 3 weeks after required licensing has begun the totals are:

Total Licensed Inspectors statewide: 482
Total Approved for Examination: …26
Total Expired Approvals for Exam: …23
Total Denied License: …1

That’s actually a few more than I expected to have their licenses so quickly. How many were estimated to be working before licensing took affect?

If memory serves, there were between 180 and 200 that made the grandfathering cutoff last September 1st; so about 300 additional have been added to the rolls since then.

DOL’s initial estimate when they did the sunrise review 3-4 years ago was that there were roughly 1000 inspectors in the state. I think they’d estimated that fully 2/3 of them weren’t affiliated with any association. However, my memory is fuzzy on that - I’d have to go back and look at the sunrise review to be certain.

I’m a little surprised to see that about 10% of the total so far are in the queue for testing or have allowed their approval to expire. What the stat doesn’t tell us is how many of the 10% are new to the profession since licensing was passed more than two years ago and how many were already in business on the date of passage.

It also doesn’t tell us who of the 10% met the requisite criteria to be grandfathered last Sept 1st and failed to make the cut on time; and which of these were in the category of folks that couldn’t qualify to be grandfathered by last September who’ve still not completed all of the requirements a year after licensing first became available.

Thanks for posting that Steven. While I’ve got your attention; there were a lot of dire predictions about how many folks were going to be hurt by licensing and how it would hurt everyone’s business, so I’d kind of like to know - other than doing what you needed to do to get your license and the fact that you might have had to modify your pre-inspection contract a little bit and must now use the state-mandated SOP, has licensing crippled your business, helped your business or are things pretty much idling along the same as they were?

ONE TEAM - ONE FIGHT!!!

Mike O’Handley, LHI
Your Inspector LLC.
Kenmore, Washington
Wa. Lic. Home Inspector #202
Editor - The original and only legitimate Inspector’s Journal™

Since I got my license last August, business was still slower than normal until this last February. Then it started to get busier, most likely from the tax credit. But when the tax credit expired at the end of April, it got busy and has continued that way until about a week ago and has now slowed down a little.

I have been surprised at the number of Realtors that are not aware that a license is required for home inspectors. A slow learning process I guess.

The State has also deleted a number of names whose approval to take exam had expired. They are cleaning the database of those names after a certain amount of time. That was another 5-10 that had put in for the test and either did not take it or failed it.

It is funny how i get 4-5 calls a week and now I have to turn everyone away. Oh well i just now give them some go information when looking for a inspector.

Why?

Mike O’Handley, LHI
Your Inspector LLC.
Kenmore, Washington

Well i did not bother being grandfather in… I have been inspecting since 03. I still inspect but for the Governmemt Fed land

I’m not sure I understand what that means. Are you saying you’re doing FHA and VA inspections? What type of Government/Fed land transactions are you referring to?

Mike O’Handley, LHI
Your Inspector LLC.
Kenmore, Washington

I work for the Government Not FHA or VA.

Oooooooooooo’K,

Mike O’Handley, LHI
Your Inspector LLC.
Kenmore, Washington

That brings up an interesting question.

If you are a government EMPLOYEE, I can see performing inspections if this is your job. An employee would be someone that is receiving benefits and wages and is on a payroll.

If you are hired as an outside contractor to perform inspections, would you not need to be licensed? No different than if they hired a plumber or electrician who also must be licensed in this state.

I believe that the Government also only hires licensed people if it is a licensed profession. I don’t see them hiring Joe-public to work as an electrician if they aren’t licensed. Same for a plumber. Why would an inspector be any different?

Interesting discussion forthcoming…

I am not a contractor. I am a Government employee. The Government does hire only licensed contractors for contract work.

So Stephen what is the interesting discussion going to be on?

… whether state and fed employees are required to abide by state laws… ?

Fed does abide by the state law and Fed law. Thats is why contractors love to work for the Fed becuse of the pay. Stephen and you need to understand that jobs for the goverment are diffrent thent what you do. They my include some areas but are diffrent. Based on the job cirts are required, they may be obtain from the Gov if you work for them. I wish i made money like some of the guy’s working as contractors… Big bucks… makes me sick