Any issues with this low-sloped roof?

I didn’t measure the pitch. What would you estimate it to be? What do you think about shingles on a low-sloped roof such as this?

072810 079.JPG 072810 013.JPG

Looks about 2/12. Above 2/12 you can install shingles from 2+/12 to 4/12 if you use an eave protection product like Grace “Ice and Water Shield” as underlayment. Most manufacturer’s do not recommend shingles for 2/12 and lower slopes.

If that’s 4" lap siding I don’t see how it can be even 2-12.

Also note the chimney bricks.

2/12 maybe. I’d especially be concerned about the area where it changes from steeper to low slope. There used to be shingles available specifically for low slope. (2/12 t0 4/12) I don’t think these are like that though. The tabs of low slope shingles were wider than regular shingles so it would be easy to tell the difference where the slope changes. I think low slope shingles aren’t made anymore. The recommendation is to cement the shingles together with tar and to have underlay (preferable Ice and Water Shield or similar product) on the whole area. Was there evidence that this was done? If not, I would be writing something about a high chance of water problems.

It’s vinyl siding.

Most of that 3,4 or 5" lap do the math.

Wow. three replies in three minutes.

It felt < 2/12 to me. Roof is < 1 year old. This is what I have said about it (report in progress). What do you think?

“The roof at the 2nd level rear is classified as a low sloped roof, meaning that the pitch or slope of it is less than 4 in 12. Asphalt shingle can be installed on roofs less than 4 in 12 but special underlayment is required. Shingles should never be installed on roofs sloped less than 2 in 12. We recommend that you speak with the installer or have it independently evaluated to verify a proper installation.”

I would DEFINITELY recommend a roofing contractor. But I have snow loads to worry about here in Michigan. 3/12 would be passable, (possibley) I would look hard for leaks, even take out the thermal camera, Note active or non existent leaks, mention the irregular or improper install, and call it a day.

That three way intersection where the roof changes pitch and meets the ridge of the other section looks like a water collection point.

Unrelated, it is hard not to notice the guard rails on that deck.

In Florida on a 2:12 you can get away with double underlayment and then install shingles as per usual. As for the transition from one slope to the other I would install a 16" wide galvanized metal roll to seal and make watertight. The double underlayment would have to extend a minimum of 24" up the steeper slope.