Arlington MM18 Meter block question

Does it need header flashing with this install practice? Builder is arguing the fact, I recommend header flashing. Thanks for your feedback.

3.JPG

2.JPG

1.JPG

4.JPG

I would say yes. There is a penetration through the wall and Hardie requires flashing at all penetrations.

exactly, aren’t window flanges the same?

I’m no fan of tape flashing, although they are code approved when properly applied.
Trying to get the crapsman installers to properly use hard flashings metal/vinyl is almost impossible.
If you don’t want to watch all start @ 6 min. & note the roller tool to assure proper adhesion of the tape, also note the WRB overlaps the tape head flashing to shed any water.
I’m off my soapbox for now…

(Cementious siding)
That is not true.
Show me documentation were any Cementitious siding company requires it …Then I’ll believe it.
Good practice, but not required.
If it were mine it would have it.
Then again, It may depend on where you are.

did you mean cementitious
instructions here
A water-resistive barrier is required in accordance with local building code requirements. The water-resistive barrier must be appropriately installed with penetration and junction flashing in accordance with local building code requirements. James Hardie will assume no responsibility for water infiltration.
when you look at the code they often refer back to item mfr installation instructions
all wall penetrations require flashing to comply with air & weather resistance mandates
hth

If you look closely on the finish pic, you can see a saw cut opening in the siding at the top right corner of the detail.

Moisture into the siding, right around the nipple and into the panel.

So what type of flashing would you use if there were no Arlington mounting block used?

If the panel simply has a nipple into the wall how do you flash that?

These mounting blocks are made for the purpose that it was installed. There is built in J channel.
http://www.aimedia.co/media/catalog-pages/L-10.pdf

Bingo.

In what drawing do you see a J channel?

J Channels are made to divert water from the exterior of the siding to keep it from getting to the moisture barrier and structure.

Flashing is needed since this particular siding is a porous product that allows moisture to reach the barrier and drain down. Thus the REQUIREMENT to leave the open gap at the top above the flashing, and not caulk it. The flashing would be under the barrier and divert water out the gap.