Brick veneer pics

forgot pictures;

Mr.Young
Those look like quality control issues.
Suspect faulty manufacturing.IE: Material mixture, improper curing method.
Structural issues in brick show,vertical cracking through several courses+ Serpentine cracking carried diagonally for several courses.
Normally at window or door opening.
Bricks carry enormous horizontal loads. They will crush, fracture, crack. Tinsel strength is tested in manufacturing every batch…
Suspect: bad workmanship. The pointing detail is inaccurate.
Possible signs of untrained men.
Make a " story poll". furring strip. 1 by 3 straight pine .
TRICK.Use a tape measure for 1 brick height.
Add in bed joint width( the height ) to the height of the brick. Do this ten times on the furring strip.
Place it on the wall and see if the brick edge or face line up with your marks.
Story poles are used by masons to do a layout.

You would not pass a masons exterior test in Quebec with that as your work.
Good luck. Mr Young.

Robert are you saying the mortar was not applied correctly when laying the bricks.?

Yes. Unprofessional by the pointing.
That is the masons signature. Along with other sings.

Thanks! I am very thankful for my Professional NACHI Brothers.

The photo of the column. The joints are called raker joint. Not allowed in Quebec ( another story ). They accept water on the lead (face or edge ) absorb and spall. Freeze thaw cycle in weather zone.
Look they are not even.
Void should be continuous and evenin depth.
Bricks are an old style. Came here in the 1980"s. 2 years later where banned.
They show up here and there. They look corduroy ( like pants ) and Antique Bark Corduroy. Name of pattern. Did not zoom. If not antique.,

Do not be thankfull till after you get the bill. HA HA HA

Interesting.
So that type brick is more likely to crack as in his pictures .
The tuckpointing itself is not the issue but the brick and style of tuckpointing both are causing the issue.

My first thought was a bad batch of brick but I said nothing till now.

Seven choices .
Common -concave , convex, flush, racker or recked, weather ( struck ), reversed weather ( up-side down struck )also banned in Quebec. Exposed lead. ( face or edge. )
Lost all my books. many years ago. I train old school. Foreman grading me. A, B, C, D class. No literal and written exam. Ended with B class. Total setup. Missing a few finer parts when I left. French corners, double width wall. All the bonds, English, American, Flemish.
Did them but never from a layout. You set up the wall, for all the opening etc. Lots of math. Simple layout.
Strap is stone work. Never seen on brick. I do convex on stone.
Sorry for long post.
http://www.ultimatehandyman.co.uk/RE-POINTING.htm

Robert, I believe those are cracks caused by over drying and baking in the kilns. But I can be wrong. :slight_smile:

Young is right. That is some really crappy tuck pointing.

Marcel you are right.BUT
Too much water not enough clay or lime in the manufacturing?
Again Quebec is hard on manufacturing of construction building productand listen to customer complaints.

Mr Braun that is the brick layers signature.
Little trick to brick veneer when inspection.
Bad pointing look deeper.

There are usually to categories for cracks in brickwork, some cracks are cause by structural reasons, and and cracks that usually visible in the face of bricks prior to laying.
When cracks appear in the face of the brickand the mortar, it is usually a sign that it is due to soil movements, tree roots, impact damage, structural loading, vibration or physical changes, like temperature.

The cracks we see in the photos, are called firecracks. Cracks do not extend into the mortar joints, suggesting their existence before they were laid.

They even have repair kits if needed to make asetherically more pleasing.

Some of those fire cracks are excessive and should have been rejected at the time of arrival from the manufacturer.
Ususually a sample panel is erected to show the finished product of the material and of the mason performance on quality.
When the firecracks can be seen and objectionable from about 30 feet, is when they should be refused.
As for as the mortar joints, I have seen better and seen worse.

:slight_smile:

stucco over them and no one will almost ever know the bricks were trash :slight_smile:

EFIS is also another great alternative to a suspect brick.
Energy savings, esthetics.
Substrate plumb, no heaving, you can achieve a positive result.
Good point.

Marcel
I cut out and replace brick or use 2 part epoxy to achieve results on selective homes with minor deficiencies.
#1 photos show a high percent of brick facade damage.
Must be cost effective over the long run.
Bricks last 100 plus years with maintenance.
Good point though. Repair if it is cost effective.