Brick veneer wall shakes

When you push on this wall, either side of the door, the entire wall shakes visibly. Not like it’s going to cave in, but I thought it was unusual. But…I rarely push on walls and found this by freak accident. This end of the house was once a garage or carport that has been converted to a den.

What would you say about the veneer movement?

063009 227.JPG

Could it be this stuff. or they didn’t use brick ties to hold it to the building.

No, it was conventional brick. I thought about brick ties. Didn’t know if the ties would prevent the wall from being pushed in, however.

Unstable wood frame? Termites, wood rot? Not constructed to handle the weight of brick?

Could it have been more like a brick panel that gets glued to the sheathing as I have seen that.

They are pretty stiff. Lack of brick ties is my guess too.

When you push on this wall, either side of the (location) door, the entire wall shakes visibly. I recommend repairs, as needed by a qualified professional, to maintain structural integrity.

Hi to all,

My guess would have to be that the top plate of the wall was not connected to anything solid.

Regards

Gerry

Thanks guys. I guess I need to start pushing on brick walls, especially at house additions.