What would cause this?

House facing north west.

Sun reflection…

http://www.abc2news.com/news/local-news/investigations/the-strange-phenomenon-thats-melting-vinyl-siding

From what Robert? My guess would be movement and the installer had a lack of knowledge to keep the siding nails loose.
However when in that position something may have been reflected but what.

IMO, definitely not because of over nailing. Could be reflection from neighbor’s windows or routinely parked car, etc.

What is on the other side of this wall?

Maybe he likes grilling his chicken n shrimp in that corner…

Cheap vinyl and Dryer exhaust?

I’d put my money on sun reflection and heat from a car.

Vinyl is formed with the use of light (not heat).

During the manufacturing process, vinyl siding is extruded, reheated, shaped, and cooled at least two times.
This process quenches the polymer before the molecular structure reaches its lowest energy state, in essence “freezing in” strains of the vinyl siding. These strains are captured in the manufactured product, making it more susceptible to stress relaxation, which results in visible physical deformation of the siding when exposed to the sun’s reflected energy.
All plastics relax at their glass transition temperature. Vinyl siding tends to shrink above this temperature. When vinyl siding is heated to its glass transition temperature after installation, the frozen-in strains relax, creating buckling and wrinkles.

Vinyl is formed with the use of light (not heat).

During the manufacturing process, vinyl siding is extruded, reheated, shaped, and cooled. This process quenches the polymer before the molecular structure cools, freezing in” strains of the vinyl siding. These strains are captured in the manufactured product, making it more susceptible to stress relaxation, which results in visible physical deformation of the siding when exposed to reflected solar energy.

All plastics relax at their glass transition temperature. Vinyl siding tends to shrink above this temperature. When vinyl siding is heated to its glass transition temperature, the frozen-in strains relax, creating buckling and wrinkles.

Thanks David that is very good info.
Btw what window. Only thing that is close is a garage. Maybe they had a hot silver car parked there all the time.:wink:

Do you see a correlation with the roof angles? Use your imagination.

Not that a neighbors window (out of the picture) could not do this. But to me, I’d say it is reflected roof energy and garage door. You must agree there is a substantial emitted energy from roof systems.

Yes I do agree.

The neighbors house looks just like this one… single car garage with the same single window on garage side. Neighbors siding is fine.

The neighbor house is not the same.

It is in another location. It is a different age. It is used differently.

What are you looking for?

If you want to know, go camp out from sunrise to sunset with a thermal camera taking time delay shots and you may find it…

If want to debate the reason, call University of California, Berkeley. They have done the time and collected the real information.

Have you ever installed vinyl siding?

That looks nothing like siding that is nailed too tight.

Roof Energy ] ?

David as the tile is black my thought is it absorbs heat while a light colored tile would reflect heat.
Think prevailing winds come from behind it ? however would not the heat generally rise ?

Both Michael and in this case I have no solution as to why it is this bad. I would be perplexed as well.

Agreed.