chimney crack

the home was built in 1962. The chimney has a crack in the middle four or five bricks long right under the hearth (vertical hair line crack.) that is the only thing I seen. Some suggestions on how to write up.
Thank you in advance
Hadnt figured out the picture part or I would put a pic in here

No one around to help you Richard? That’s unusual.

Here’s what my fireplace friend wrote for my report:

Ditto that. And be darn sure that you’re not dealing with a pre-cast or tilt-up chimney, in which cracks are far more significant.

Chimneys, Fireplaces, Vents, and Solid Fuel-Burning Appliances fall under the NFPA 211 Code.

Observations by a Home Inspector should be noted and reported to the Client as such.

(Cracks were observed in the Brick work of the chimney and/or fireplace, and should be inspected by and conducted by a Qualified Agency. )

Chimney inspections fall into 3 levels. This is where a level III would be required. I would suggest further evaluation by the AHJ. A level three inspection is required upon sale or transfer of property.

Hope this helps.

Marcel :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

I think you meant Level II, right?

Level I Inspection
A Level I inspection is the recommended level when an evaluation of the chimney system for continued service is needed and the conditions of use are not changing. This could include:

[FONT=Verdana]1) Routine or annual evaluations of the venting system
[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]2) An appliance connected to the system is being replaced with a similar appliance
[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]3) During chimney cleaning or sweeping
[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana]A Level I inspection is limited to readily accessible portions of the venting system, and accessible portions of the connected appliance(s) and the chimney connection. The inspector will check the readily accessible portions of the chimney, its enclosing structure, and the flue. A Level I inspection includes verification that the flue is not blocked or significantly restricted.

Level II Inspection
A Level II inspection is more detailed and thorough than a Level I inspection and is the recommended inspection when conditions of use for the appliance or venting system are changing, or when a Level I inspection reveals the need for a more detailed inspection. Several instances where a Level II inspection is specifically recommended include:[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana]1) Replacement of an appliance with one of dissimilar type, input rating or efficiency
[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]2) Prior to a flue relining
[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]3) Upon sale or transfer of the property
[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]4) After an event likely to have caused damage to the chimney, such as a chimney fire or other sudden occurrence event
[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana]A Level II inspection includes all of the requirements of a Level I inspection as well as the following:[/FONT]

http://www.magic-sweep.com/_themes/business-18/bullet.gif

[FONT=Verdana]Inspection of accessible areas of attics, basements, and crawlspaces

[/FONT][FONT=Verdana]1) Accessible areas of the chimney exterior and interior
[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]2) Accessible portions of the appliance and chimney connection
[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]3) Video scanning, or other thorough inspection, of the flue interior
[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]4) Evaluation of the flue lining to determine that its material and sizing is appropriate for the appliances being served
[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]5) Proper clearance to combustibles in the accessible areas listed above
[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana]Proper construction and condition of the chimney system in the accessible areas listed above [/FONT]
While the Level II inspection is a rather thorough inspection and requires access to many areas of the building, it does not require removal of permanent parts of the building, such as siding, chase covers or wall coverings.

Level III Inspection
A Level 3 inspection includes all the areas and items checked in a Level 1 and a Level 2 inspection, as well as the removal of certain components of the building or chimney where necessary. Removal of components (i.e., chimney crown, interior chimney wall) shall be required only when necessary to gain access to areas that are the subject of the inspection. When serious hazards are suspected, a Level 3 inspection may well be required to determine the condition of the chimney system.

Yes, it is Level II. Sorry, misprint. I must have had one of your Margarita’s RR. :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Marcel

Ah-ha.

So that’s where Ms Margarita was the other night!