Chimney Question

Hello Everyone,
I was hoping to get some clarification on this chimney stack. It is in Connecticut and is for an oil burning furnace. The owner was told it had to be 2 feet above the ridge line and that he had to have it changed. He didn’t think it was right since he is on a street with similar houses and they all vent the same way. He called me asking if that was right but I don’t deal much with oil burners in the northeast since I’m in Florida. Appreciate any help.

1 Like

Different components have different requirements. That looks like a flue or vent, not a chimney.

Chimney rules; 3’-2’-10’

Flues, to which I suspect this is: IRC says, absence of manufacturer’s installation instructions, you could glean the furnace tag plate, which override code, but also meet the code as well as may be more stringent than the code.:o

• M1804.2 Termination. Vent termination shall comply with Sections M1804.2.1 through M1804.2.6.
    • M1804.2.1 Through the roof. Vents passing through a roof shall extend through flashing and terminate in accordance with the manufacturer’s installation requirements.
    • M1804.2.2 Decorative shrouds. Decorative shrouds shall not be installed at the termination of vents except where the shrouds are listed and labeled or use with the specific venting system and are installed in accordance with the manufacturer’s installation instructions.
    • M1804.2.3 Natural draft appliances. Vents for natural draft appliances shall terminate at least 5 feet (1524 mm) above the highest connected appliance outlet, and natural draft gas vents serving wall furnaces shall terminate at an elevation at least 12 feet (3658 mm) above the bottom of the furnace.
    • M1804.2.4 Type L vent. Type L venting systems shall conform to UL 641 and shall terminate with a listed and labeled cap in accordance with the vent manufacturer’s installation instructions not less than 2 feet (610 mm) above the roof and not less than 2 feet (610 mm) above any portion of the building within 10 feet (3048 mm).

Hope that helps.
Robert

PS: Some/much info taken from Inspectionnews.

Yes, around here, it needs to meet the 3-2-10 rule.

DuraTech Oil Furnace Chimney System Kit - 7" Diameter | WoodlandDirect.com: Chimney Systems

Scroll down for picture.

Here’s a drawing for you.

5_24_planning_installation.jpg:slight_smile:

My first question would be who told him so? AHJ or buyers father-in-law.

A home inspector in Connecticut.

You should thank him…:slight_smile: