Deck joist hangers

Deck joist hangers are supposed to be full height, is that correct?
But how would you word it?
“Deck joist hangers should be full height, further evaluation by a licensed contractor is recommended”.?

Hangars are rated by load capacity and function, not size. Recommend that you peruse the Simpson Strong-Tie website, especially their FREE education offerings!

You need to check the markings to see if they are marked for Some hangers are good for 2x8 and 2x10.
What size framing are we looking at?

I would be more concerned in noting how the ledger board was fastened and if flashing was installed at the wall attachment. :slight_smile:

“I would be more concerned in noting how the ledger board was fastened and if flashing was installed at the wall attachment”
Speaking of that is there a place or a diagram that would tell me the correct amount of the new screws being used, that need to be installed on the ledger board.?

The DCA-2 2015 is considered the “Bible” for decks, and the document that is used to create the codes for decks.

DCA 6 - Prescriptive Residential Wood Deck Construction Guide

I have that. It is the ledgerlok screws that I have concerns about, the distance between them on the ledger is it the same as lag screws or do they need more. The pattern is a W

You need to go the the actual Manufacturer of the screws for specific details as all manufaturers are NOT equal. If you do as I suggested in my first post above, you will be able to view Strong-Ties product information on their product(s). You may not get so lucky with other manufacturers and will need to call them. DO NOT assume others are equal to SST, because they’re not.

Check here John.

ICC-ES ESR 1078 – Technical Evaluation Reports – Technical Bulletins – CAD Drawings

Thanks Marcel

Thank you, and the ledger was nailed only! No lag bolts…

Joist hangers typically don’t have to be full height, they can be one size under; 2x8 hanger for 2x10 joists, for example.

DCA 6 - Prescriptive Residential Wood Deck Construction Guide is for new decks.

Some decks are built to some version of the IRC standards, the UBC standards, or to best practice, or they are just built. Unless you are performing a code inspection you might not want to call out things just because they don’t comply with a standard, but instead, call out defective components (won’t perform as designed) or safety issues, which is our mandate.

For example, those hangers were not hot-dipped galvanized or stainless steel as recommended by most standards. They were electro-coated galvanized steel hangers, which the manufacturer (Simpson StrongTie) says won’t last as long as hot-dipped galvanized or stainless steel hangers, and that’s all they say.

You could mention that in your report, but don’t make a big deal out of it because most decks in the US are built using electro-coated galvanized steel hangers because they are what suppliers stock. Hot-dipped galvanized and stainless steel are special order and more expensive.

Those hangers looked like they were nailed with roofing nails, which if that’s the case, is a more important defect and they should be replaced with 10d hanger nails if that’s the case. And… of course recommend installation of lags or bolts at the ledger.

The thing about nailed ledgers is that when they’re relatively new, if adequately nailed, that connection is fine. There have been hundreds of thousands of decks built with nailed ledgers. They eventually fail, but all decks eventually fail.

The big difference between nailed and lagged/bolted connections is that over time, due to moisture and thermal cycling, the nail holes will get bigger, nails will corrode and the nailed ledger connection will weaken at a faster rate than a lagged or bolted connection that doesn’t depend on withdrawal of a smooth-shank fastener or shear failure of a relatively small-diameter fastener to prevent ledger separation.

For years, best practice was one ½" lag every 2’, staggered up and down, with two lags at the ends of each ledger board. Less is worse, more is better. The trick is deciding when it’s inadequate, and the answer is to pass on the liability by recommending evaluation by a qualified contractor… or structural engineer, if the only contractor around is the guy who built the deck.

Should show you all you need here Kenton.

ICC-ES ESR 1078 – Technical Evaluation Reports – Technical Bulletins – CAD Drawings

and here; http://www.icc-es.org/reports/pdf_files//ESR-2442.pdf
https://www.grkfasteners.com/Portals/0/documents/LedgerBulletinvs%203_new.pdf
Tech Bulletins

The hanger should be stamped for the size of member it can handle. I would also be concerned about the lack of a visible flashing where the deck ledger board penetrates the siding.