Downspout Height????

Today I came across this situation with the downspouts stopping about 3-4 feet above grade. Is this just an esthetics issue or something that should be called out in my inspection report? It almost seems that when the roofing subcontractor was estimating the job he did not take into account that the houses would be at different elevation heights in the development.

I’ve seen down spouts that high too and i beleive that as long as the elbo at the bottom still kicks the water away from the house, it should work fine. provided that the grade slopes away and all that. If you had a downspout that went right to 6" above grade, had the splash block below that and everything, if the slope is wrong, they’re getting we.

Down spout 3-4 feet off the ground, hmmmmmmmmmmmmm.
I don’t think I would like to keep repairing the damage to the lawn from the splash.

Marcel

Not to forget about the potential damage to the foundation itself. In cases such as this, it is not uncommon to see foundation damage or freeze-thaw damage (in freeze temperature regions) to the exposed face of the foundations, develop over time.

Claude:

All I can say is: WOW - I like it.:shock:

That is unacceptable, 3-4 above grade. Depending how much roof surface being drained there could be considerable amounts of water in heavy rains. I have seen sevre soil erosion and washout as a result of improper downspout discharge. I always recommend minimum 6’ distance out from the house.

ditto

Ditto the ditto.

Ditto to the third power!