EIFS bulge/cracks at top plate transition

This bulge/crack right where the rim joist meets the wall top plate was typical all around the building to various degrees. No penetrations were caulked, but no obvious avenues for moisture above these areas either.

What besides moisture behind the EIFS would cause this?

When the wood that is not cured right dries out and shrinks. Life in the fast lanes. Nothing is done right from the ruffin to the finish. Quick growth wood!

And it happens with all sidings not just EIFS!

Agreed

Same as what Carl said plus no floor line control / expansion joint. From your perspective: Various improper conditions noted in the EIFS, such as: …, we recommend having a EDI or AWCI certified stucco inspector do further evaluation and moisture testing of the EIFS system prior to closing.

Ditto Ditto Ditto…Carl, Joe, Dan…!!!

I agree as well. Contractors purchase Green lumber often instead of KD or S-dry, because they save 0.20 per 2x4! They just can not seem to see the future problems like this …but they sure did save a few hundred bucks on the lumber ](*,) sigh

In your picture I see a window and an electrical fixture. They look like “obvious avenues for moisture” to me. Isn’t that what your asking?

With out moisture testing, this just looks like bad workmanship.

Well that’s true, David. The cracking was so consistant around the building and it seemed to me that single points of entry on different sides would show up differently and that the damage would look more related. Some areas had similar damage but no point similar point of entry.

Here’s a couple good ones of the same building:

1. the roof/wall junction
  2. its termination in a hole at the bottom

It was pretty much like the hole at a miniature golf green. The amazing thing was that looking at the stucco below the gutter, there was only very slight visual evidence that anything was wrong.

Around here, real estate agents avoid stucco homes like the plague!

They probably have a point there!

From what you are showing us, there seems to be some serious potential problems here. I think further intrusive inspection is in order.

Makes me think how with all the EIFS being installed for energy conservation on new and existing dwellings,getting certification to inspect this stuff may be a better add on service than mold inspection.

Works for me!
Check out http://www.exterior-design-inst.com/

Thanks Barry… I have had that link for a while.
I take it you found this to be a worthwhile pursuit.