Exhaust Openings

I’ve heard of a few instances now where siding installers on brand new homes have covered over exhaust openings (dryer exhaust, range hood exhaust). It’s something I never thought to check for. Do you guys look for this? What’s your process?

I make a point to look for them on the exterior inspection.
Sometimes I can’t see or find the bathroom exhaust and keep a mental note for the attic inspection.
Most range hood exhaust around here are with filters and no exhaust.
If the range hood is on the outside wall, chances are it is vented through wall. If not it uses the filter. Remove the filter to verify. :slight_smile:

I am just guessing ( not good ) on how I would look for the symptoms and tell tale signs Mr.Allingham.
I make mental or written notation from my outside inspection.
The vent opening would be most adjesent to the unit.
IE: meaning it should be in a direct line going to the outside wall within a 8 foot circumference to the unit in question. Range hoods would be on the kitchens outside wall behind the unit. Within close proximity to.
Also attics will have any venting required.
All make notes.
I use a Sony digital dictation machine. Also came with Nuance talk to text. Its was a bugger to learn. ( for me ) I am using voice recognition now, same maker .
I start my HI with a quick run through of the basement and move up to the attic.
Make a mental or written note if preferred, and attic is the first report on the inside of the home.
I have left the roof and made mental or written notes about venting.
Not all the time. Every situation is different and I am new and making changes to simplify my process.
Now you should see lint where the dryers vent opening should be, if inside vent is free I use a bore-scope that allows me 6 feet of visual witness.
I have only heard of what you are talking about and think the cases are few and far between.
You never know.

I heard that also John.

At inspection, I take pictures of all sides of home and when the report is completed latter in office, verify that all exhaust locations are present.

Just this week, I reported a bathroom exhaust discharge to be suspect as no wall damper was visible from the outside.

Nice Marcel. I will take note.
Only just started. Man do I have a lot to look for and learn.
Thanks…Robert

Thanks for the replies.

I do attic last, after I’ve determined if the kitchen hood is vented or recirc, and after I’ve gotten a good look at the bathrooms and determined active vs. passive venting, direct vent furnace vs. typical vented through roof, etc.

Works for me.

you mean like this???

like this???
this was a ten year old modular home.

Looks good Ken.