New free, online "Exterior Safety for Inspectors and Contractors" video course

Course Goal:
The goal of this course is to teach proper health and safety practices to both inspectors and contractors while they are working at the exterior of a property.

View the course details at www.nachi.org/safety-exterior-online-video-course.htm

Course Objectives:
After successfully completing this online video training course, the student shall be able to:

• describe proper health and safety practices while working at the exterior of a property;
  • use the required safety devices and personal protective safety equipment;
  • notify a supervisor immediately of unsafe conditions/acts, accidents, and injuries.

The course covers the following topics:

• General Rules
  • Housekeeping
  • Fire Prevention
  • Industrial Hygiene and Occupational Health
  • Personal Protective and Related Equipment
  • Electrical
  • Ladders
  • Scaffolds
  • Tools
  • Air Tools
  • Compressed Gas Cylinders
  • Powder-Actuated Tools
  • Motor Vehicles and Mechanized Equipment
  • Fall Hazard Identification and Evaluation
  • Examples of Situations Requiring Fall Protection
  • Wall Openings
  • Holes
  • Leading Edges
  • Hoist Areas
  • Precast Concrete Erection and Residential Construction
  • Ramps, Runways, and Other Walkways
  • Low-slope Roofs
  • Steep Roofs
  • Controlled Access Zones
  • Safety Monitoring Systems
  • Warning Line Systems
  • Fall Protection Systems
  • Guardrail Systems
  • Personal Fall Arrest Systems
  • Positioning Device Systems
  • Safety Net Systems
  • Covers
  • Protection From Falling Objects
  • Roof Sheathing Operations
  • Changes to Plan
  • Post-Fall Rescue Plan

View the course details at www.nachi.org/safety-exterior-online-video-course.htm

Nice.

Stop pumping out courses I can’t keep up. LOL

Thats pretty much what we use on industrial sites except for a few items

Here to start

Hi everyone:
This course was a great reminder about job site safety. It allowed me to visualize just how quickly an accident can occur. It also pointed so many of the things that get easily overlooked.
thanks,
Nat

From the course:

All Employees:

• Be familiar with and comply with proper health and safety practices.
• Use the required safety devices and proper personal protective safety equipment.
• Notify a Supervisor immediately of unsafe conditions/acts, accidents, and injuries.

GENERAL SAFETY PROGRAMS AND RULES

General Rules

• Report unsafe conditions to your immediate superior as soon as possible.
• Promptly report all accidents/injuries/incidents to your immediate superior.
• Use eye and face protection where there is danger from flying objects or particles.
• Dress properly. Wear appropriate work clothes, gloves, and shoes or boots. Loose clothing and jewelry shall not be worn. If you have questions as to what is appropriate or required, ask a supervisor.
• Operate machines or other equipment only when all guards and safety devices are in place and in proper operating condition.
• Keep all equipment in safe working condition. Never use defective tools or equipment. Report any defective tools or equipment to immediate supervisor as soon as possible.
• Properly care for and be responsible for all personal protective equipment (PPE). Wear or use any such PPE when required. If you have questions as to what is required, ask a supervisor.

From the library:

Scaffolds are temporary, elevated platforms with supporting structures that are used to support workers and their materials at construction sites. As defective scaffolds put workers at great risk, these structures should be inspected before each work shift, as well as after any event that may have caused damage.

A ladder is a structure designed for climbing that consists of two long side-pieces joined at uniform intervals by rungs or steps. It’s important to use the right tool for the job, and that includes ladders, which come in different types and sizes for different applications. It’s also important to exercise extreme caution while using a ladder, as a fall from a ladder can lead to serious injury and even death.

Was it like an onsite osha inspection would be like? That detailed? Sounds great I may have to take that one for future use on big projects.

This is a short essay to help finish the course on exterior safety for inspectors and contractors. The stool shown in the picture is in no way a safe platform to work from and cannon in anyway replace a ladder. Falls from heights as low as this can result in serious damage to people and property. A correct size ladder where the worker does not have to stand on top of the ladder to do his work on the cables above would be acceptable. Also scaffolding set up properly could be used. Nothing should ever be used on top of scaffolding to stand on such as a ladder, bucket or anything else. I hope this meets the requirements of the course. See attached picture. The picture was rotated by the uploading process and was taken in the vertical method which is what I would put in a report.

Yeah Me.

https://scontent-lax3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xat1/v/t1.0-9/12002146_10206664128334776_6974048729966634105_n.jpg?oh=49133ce5fcc02ef51e616f33cf52f2e5&oe=5667703E

All safety measures were applied. When entering the attic space the proper safety equipment was utilized. There were no deficiency observed.

[ATTACH]

[/ATTACH]

IMG.jpg

My inspection was for a 4 bedroom, 3 bath, single family house. Part of the inspection included assessing the main service entrance. There were no safety concerns. The subpanel cover was installed, there were no exposed wires, and there were no ovrheating breakers. Overall it was a safe inspection, having significant rain being the only concern of any kind.

This post is for the exterior safety class. trip hazards are all around us as we make our inspections. A uneven walkway as pictured or a low spot in the yard can send you on an unexpected trip. So watch where you place your feet and stay safe.

I think the “Exterior Safety for Inspectors and Contractors” class was a good class for general site safety. The more times we read or listen to safety classes can only make us safer. Be safe out there.

The siding shown in the photo is for a detached garage. The material is a hardboard type material that is no longer commonly used for exterior siding due to its vulnerability to water damage. The lower courses of siding shows the greatest areas of damage and some areas, like those shown, no longer create a barrier to pests or weather due to holes being present. This siding was applied directly to the wall studs and there is no sheathing. The material lacks structural qualities like those found in natural wood. I would recommend the removal of the siding and the installation of sheathing over the studs prior to the installation of new siding. Additionally, I would recommend the examination of the structure for damage when the siding is removed as some areas will be visible that ordinarily would not be visible. Make any repairs to structure that are needed prior to the installation of new siding or sheathing materials.

Hello my name is John!
This ladder was not set up for proper use!
It is to close to the wall you should use the 4 to 1 rule!
It is also unattended and should have signs around it to tell people that it is unsafe to proceed up the ladder!

Safety is a very important matter and we should always look out not only for ourselves but also the people around us!

Stay safe and keep an eye out for any potential hazards!

Here is a picture of a Lead Renovation. Notice the guy on the end in the pic sitting on the edge of the plank with his feet hanging on the ladder. Not the best way to handle that.

Michael Hammes
River City Property Services LLC
Onalaska, WI

lead rennovation.png

Scaffolding should be inspected daily before use. It should never exceed intended weight limit. It should also have properly installed guard rails attached.

Fire Extinguishers should be Inspected once per year and visually inspected monthly. They should be present on all Construction Sites and should be in conspicuous places. Workers should also know what rating they are and how to use them.

Michael Hammes
River City Property Services LLC
Onalaska WI

Hello, my name is Will van Zandt.
This post is the Inspection and Writing assignment for “Exterior Safety for Inspectors and Contractors”.

Attached is a picture of a 10’ fiberglass step ladder.
It is a type IA ladder with a working load of 300 lbs. This type of ladder should not be leaned and is to be used in the fully open position with spreaders locked. The feet should rest on a stable and level surface. To prevent falls the ladder must be the appropriate height and situated to reach the work area. Overreaching is a common cause of falls. Keeping your belt buckle inside the width of the ladder’s rungs is a good way to maintain a stable position. Three points of contact should be used when ascending or descending the ladder.