Go Back   InterNACHI Inspection Forum > >

Notices

Exterior Inspections Contains discussions about the exterior portion of a home inspection. This includes roofs, gutters, downspouts, decks, patios, windows, etc.

Old 2/1/18, 2:01 AM
InterNACHI Member

Who dressed you?!
In "Clothes Closet Lighting" by Nick Gromicko, I was pleased to see good, and fairly recent information presented on an often overlooked issue.

When I think about lighting in a closet (typical small room closet with sliders found in many homes, or small closets not really "walk-in" even if you can step inside), lighting is often absent or poor.

I inspected a home for my CPI classes and was pleased that even though the home was quite old, it had lights in all the closets. Now, they were a ceramic lamp base and an incandescent bulb. A good start, but no longer considered "to code" or appropriate. But at least the electric was there. An owner could simply swap the bulb base for a cheap can light, have the lamp holder converted to a j-box and wire in a fluorescent, or some combination of an LED bulb (many have no threat of igniting anything) and a lamp cover. A savvy homeowner could just pull the base, secure the wiring into a j-box and affix the cover; let the new owner decide what kind of light they want.

The point is, that as inspectors we should remember to:
1- "Look up" when inspecting even the smallest closet.
2- Call out in the report any hazardous lamp conditions.
3- Allay the fears ($$$) of the homeowner by suggesting any of the low-cost options from above.

Need a home inspection in Connecticut? Check out InterNACHI's listing of Connecticut certified home inspectors. Or, find a home inspector anywhere in the world with our inspection search engine.
Old 2/1/18, 7:18 PM
InterNACHI Member

Electrical power cords should be inspected prior to use each day. The terminal ends and the entire length should be visually inspected for any defects. If the outer insulating layer has been compromised in any way the cord should not be used. If the terminal ends are loose or if the ground prong has been broken or removed the cord should not be used.

New free, online "Exterior Safety for Inspectors and Contractors" video course
Old 2/1/18, 7:26 PM
InterNACHI Member

Safety glass is a safer version of ordinary glass used in many applications where human harm is more likely to occur. An example of where safety glass is used would be a sliding door panel. Glass shower doors should be safety glass as well. Safety glass can still break but it is designed to be stronger than ordinary glass. If it does break it usually breaks into very small pieces that are less likely to cause harm than a large shard from ordinary glass.

Old 2/6/18, 11:37 AM
InterNACHI Member

A respirator is a useful safety component while conducting a home inspection. I prevents the inhalation of fine dirt partials and contaminants often found in the crawlspace and attic of most homes. The orange respirator cartridge shown above should be changed regularly to maintain optimal performance.

Old 2/6/18, 11:52 AM
InterNACHI Member

I read a article on garage inspection. This article was very useful and informative. It emphasize the difference between withdraw screws used for decks and shear force screws for supporting a load. This is a major concern in respect to garage roof stability and failure.

Old 2/6/18, 4:08 PM
InterNACHI Member

No anti-tip bracket was installed at the range. This bracket prevents the range from tipping forward, which could cause the range to fall over and/or spill hot food from pots and pans. The anti-tip bracket is a simple metal plate that holds the rear foot of the range to the floor. Recommend installation by a qualified person to prevent injury.

Old 2/6/18, 4:12 PM
InterNACHI Member

The garage door trip sensors were noted installed at a sub-standard height. This condition may prevent proper function an pose a potential safety concern. Sensor eyes should not be installed higher than 6 inches from the ground. Advise consulting a licensed garage door contractor for servicing/adjustment as necessary.

Old 2/11/18, 3:40 PM
InterNACHI Member

When using a ladder for inspections it will need to be inspected prior to use to identify any unsafe conditions. The ladder needs to be tied off, held, or secured for stability. It should not be loaded beyond the maximum intended load and should not be moved, shifted or extended while occupied.

Old 2/11/18, 4:01 PM
InterNACHI Member

When inspecting the panel I should perform an initial hazard assessment and have an escape path: Know where to turn and step away from equipment if there is a sudden hazard.
I need to wear safety glasses, leather gloves, and protective clothing.

Old 2/11/18, 5:50 PM
InterNACHI Member

This is a picture of safely set up scaffolding. It's fully planked, toe boarded and has all the cross braces one. It has base plates on the feet that are on mudsills. It has guard rails, an access ladder and an access gate.

Old 2/11/18, 5:53 PM
InterNACHI Member

The importance of safety signs. Signs can be put up to keep people from falling to access holes in crawl spaces. Avoiding personal injury and legal issues. Also danger sign to keep people from walking on parts of the structure that are deemed unsafe.

Old 2/12/18, 2:40 PM
InterNACHI Applicant

The picture shows some mistakes made by the workers/.
First of all, they seem to be working at a very high height without the harnesses properly connected to the roof. One of them, even have a harness on.
The surface of the roof looks full of debris which could cause them to slip.
There is a power line, which I am no to sure how far it is, but at least is something to have in consideration.

Old 2/12/18, 3:05 PM
InterNACHI Applicant

I read the article named "Scaffold Inspection", and it shows all the general requirements, general use, how to access, and fall protection that is related to scaffold use.
The assembling, move, dismantling, reassembling, etc is a complex movement, because there are many variables to have in mind and be aware of at the same time. That is why there is there is specialized people that inspect scaffold before it's use, to make sure that is safe to use.

Need a home inspection in Connecticut? Check out InterNACHI's listing of Connecticut certified home inspectors. Or, find a home inspector anywhere in the world with our inspection search engine.
Old 2/20/18, 11:21 PM
InterNACHI Member

The course was extremely detailed. The information is most likely more than we need to perform our inspections, as we are not on hands during our inspections. The course was good information as a observer to the type of work described in the videos.

Old 2/20/18, 11:27 PM
InterNACHI Member

The videos and PDF material was well presented, even though the subject was quit dry to absorb. Lots of numbers to remember, which I'm sure ,I could find to apply, if the situation presented itself. I hope, I can remember half of it, for the exam.