Grippable Hand Rails

Does anyone have a picture of acceptable “grippable” hand rails for decks. I need 1 to insert into an inspection report.

Charlie

Type I
Handrails with a circular cross section shall have an outside diameter of at least 1¼” and not greater than 2”.
Handrails without a circular cross section shall have a perimeter dimension of at least 4” and not greater than 6¼” with a maximum cross section dimension of 2¼”.

Type II
Handrails with a perimeter greater than 6¼” shall provide a graspable finger recess area on both sides of the profile. The finger recess shall begin within ¾” from the top of the handrail and end a minimum 1¾” below the top of the handrail. The recess is a minimum 5/16” deep and minimum 3/8” long. The minimum width of the handrail above the recess shall be 1¼” to a maximum of 2 ¾”.

deck hand rails 1.jpg

deck hand rails 2.jpg

Michael,
Thanks…I knew the dimensions, but I needed a picture. Yours were great. Thanks again.

Charlie

http://www.aohomeinspection.com/pdf/IRC_interpretation.pdf

Here is the one I use. I like it because it is not too specific. The graphic could be a little better.

handrail3.gif

Decks don’t require handrails, they require guardrails. Stairs require handrails.