Gutter Installation

The gutters on this house are fasten to the roof with metal straps that are nailed through the asphalt shingles. Not to the fascia like they normally are.
If my pic shows up well you may be able to see them on the left side some.
I’ve seen other older houses with gutters attached this way around my area and just wonder why it would be done this way. The fascia is wrap with aluminum and much to high to get close to see better.
I’m just wondering if any of you have seen this before and how would you report it.
Any advice would be appreciated.
Tom

Tom,

The pic doesn’t show the straps well, I have a digital feed HD monitor so if I cant see it well I doubt many others will be able to. I can see what looks to be some straps but how they are exactly attached is another issue. Do you have a better picture?

If the straps are NAILED through the TOP of the shingles it will created a problem, if not now eventually and since its a TALL house I doubt the home owner is going to go up and re-tar the nail heads regularly. may be a maintenance issue that turns into water damage and rot on the roof edge/facia/sofit in a year or two.

Curt

I see this all the time in Ohio & Indiana where the gutters are nailed on this way. Typically on homes that the fascia is not vertical but slopes back or the fascia will not support the gutter. The straps are suppose to be sealed between strap and shingle; some installers do and some don’t you’ll need to get on a ladder and check.

Gary

Thanks Gary,
Unfortunately my ladder isn’t big enough to get up that high.
Tom

I agree with Gary, I see installations done this way often, mainly because allot of the older homes in my area have crown moulding on top of the fascia at the roofs edge. Most of the time this crown moulding was the original gutters for the house and where made out of cedar, when the roof gets replaced they tend to go over the old gutter.

I see it a lot up here. People up here seems to think it will save their gutters from damage from the ice damming.

Both Gary, Curt and Brian are all correct.

Brian is correct because…The #1 reason I see it is from people who have experienced gutter ripped off by ice/snow. They do have much better holding power as the fasting nail is under sheer tention rather than pull out. Typically the ice/snow problem is from steep roofs or roofs suffering from ice damming. Your roof doesn’t appear that steep from the photo.

Gary is correct because…The #2 reason I see it is because of design of the eves. For my area this is far less common.

Curt is correct because… Either way, they should not be nailed on top of the shingle. They should have nailed them under the shingle.