Gutter screen guards

Anyone ever see gutter screen guards installed like the one in my attached photo? The only ones I’ve seen like this up until now were held in by compression at the back edge, where as it was bent down under the shingles.

Regards,

Steve

Yes I’ve seen them installed in many different ways. Even drywall screwed right though the shingles.

Yes there a countless configurations of those things. Screwed in, clipped in, hinged, lay-in etc…

I’m hoping someone can recognize this particular type of gutter screen guard and lead me to a link that shows a proper installation for it. I’ve dug up videos and websites showing proper installation to lay right on top the shingles and others just the opposite. Wasn’t sure if I should site this as an improper installation because in about a 4’ long stretch, the gutter screen is pushing up on the bottom row of shingles.

Regards,

Steve

Stephen when we installed this style we put the top edge under the shingles if it goes over them debris is washed under it.The problem with some is if they are a little short the screen lays flat ad debris sits on top. They can be installed between the starter course and the top layer to avoid this. If there is life in the shingles they may lay down after correction but it doesnt look like it. I don’t have a link and it me be difficult to find one as these are made by small manufacturers. I hope this helps you.:slight_smile:

I think you are right, that is, it will be difficult to find any information on the installation of this particular type of gutter guard substrate. If push comes to shove, I think I’ll recommend that the buyer have it looked at by a roofing contractor and they can make the judgement to the client as to whether or not this is something that should be monitored over time.

Thanks,

Steve

Stephen I am with you and and as a side note I never really liked them and only installed them if people asked for them. In the end it is cheaper to hire someone to clean them yearly and you get the roof checked at the same time.I don’t see many trees in the area.

Try this link. Custom Plastic Profiles NC|LB Plastics Inc.

This is one of many variations of these gutter guards.

I see no problem here except that the screens have been installed by the home owner or someone inexperienced.
If the screens where removed the problem would be fixed.
Now they can clean the gutter by hand.
It might be a deal breaker if they hear " call out a roofer " and to me its a simple fix. Also an added expense.
So the whole roof must be understood before that call is made by me. “Call in a roofer on my report.”
Now to be clear I am a journeyman roofer.
Roof looks in good shape and fairly new by the pics I see.
Roof is 10/12 ( to me ) giving it a rough guess.
There will be no ice damming if insulation is OK and saw-fit venting was clear.
I would inter into my report.
1: gutter screens improperly installed.
recommend removal and reinstall if possible.
Maintenance report for home IE: All gutters should be hand cleaned yearly.
Then you can add.
All nails inspected and reset if loose Seams looked at for leakage, caulk if needed. , Joints the same, look for separation., Downspouts fit tightly and anchored well. Runoff is 8 feet away from the home sloped away from the foundation.
This is rough but an example.

Thanks Robert. FYI… You were dead on with the pitch. I had just happened to check that when I was measuring and trying to get an idea of what the square footage was on the house. I’ll typically try and get an idea of what the pitch is for any roof’s that I won’t try and walk on during an inspection, not that I’ve done that many yet.

Regards,

Steve

I have a box of them I used on my house, I got from my local True Value, they’re called Novelty Gutter Guard and they rest on the shingles, at least they have on my house for the last 15 years.

gutter guards.jpg

Thanks Steven.
Easy to count the shingles using the number of teeth going horizontal, and the number of rain notches going vertical.
You can formulate your own counting method and exact the SQ.footage.
When you are on a ladder looking at the gutters you can carry a simple tool that will tell you the pitch just from resting the measuring device atop the shingles.
Hear is a link.

It is inexpensive and I have used them in my trades for over 25 years now.
Put another feather in your cap mate.
Thanks Robert.

I’ve got an app on my android smart phone for roof pitch.

You have to turn the roof pitch option on.

What brand of smart phone are you using Mr.Larson?
I have a hard time reading them.
I find the pages and text to small. I know you can in-large the text because I have had several but have lost them fishing or boating and on the job.
No more for now but next one I will leave in the car when going outing.

Samsung Galaxy S (Vibrant) from T-Mobile

I hope you had insurance.

$6/month for a $500 phone.

I cracked the screen twice on my previous smart phone and did not have insurance.

I had to by junkers off ebay to fix it myself but this phone would be much harder to repair.

Mr.Larson.
I have lost or broken 2000 plus dollars worth of phones in the past year. Every time I insured a phone the weazels backed out with every excuse under the sun to void my abilaty to replace the phone free of charge.
Bell, Rogers, Virgin, Best-buy, want me to go on?
I have had 22 plus phones in 9 years.
Now I have 1 good one and the rest are 40 to 50 dollar phones. For my employ’s, mother and soon no more employ’s. I am a one man show with 1 part time labor.
I have a LG bless and stopped my virgin account ( after 6 years ) because they caused me to loose 2000 dollars in May of this year and 3 phones and 1 wireless stick were cut for no reason but a service agent made a mistake.
Still waiting for them to offer me something like service for free for x number of months.
I can tell you stories.
I will look into your phone and its fetchers later this year to see if it suits my purpose.
Thanks… Robert

This should solve your problem once and for all.

Let us know how it works out. :wink:

With my luck, some one will lose there grip on the quick-cut I am standing beside and I will lose my arm.
HA HA HA.
Good one mate.

Steve,

No problem. The gutter screens should be installed by some one who is spiritually in tune to any trees which may drop leaves into the gutter, because if someone who was not spiritually in tune to the surrounding trees were to install the gutter guards, as the inspector, you might be liable.
It might seem to you that a four foot stretch might be important, but that’s not your judgement call and it’s important that you pass onthat liability to the client.