I love my job

01-10-06 002 (Small).jpg

So, whats your question?

No questions just sharing my views

Cool!!!
And I love my Job as well!!

Yep moss on Roof .

Do you know what caused it
Do you know how to avoid it in the future .
Do you know what you shpuld do about it
Do you know what you should not do about it.
Roy sr. … I know

I hate to upstage you Earl. :slight_smile: I also love my job.

della-villa miller 060 (Medium) (Small).jpg

Another:p

della-villa miller 063 (Small) (Custom).jpg

Moss can and does shorten the life span of asphalt as well as other shingles.

can i play too?:mrgreen:

100_0571 (Small).JPG

Jay, nice tight-rope…also.

How about this ??

P1030590.JPG

P1030589.JPG

My wife, “a florist”, loves moss… can you email me some? lol :o

Kevin… what is MAB?

Kevin has a winner!!

I lifted this section about moss and algae growth from somewhere, but I like it alot…

"Significant moss growth was observed on the roof, usually a result of lack of sunlight, high moisture. This natural growth can significantly decrease the life expectancy of this area of roofing and is recommended to be cleaned, and the overhanging branches trimmed back. Some recommendations for cleaning the shingle roofing are included below:

Moss is quite easy to remove. Use a standard bristle scrub brush on a pole and push the brush down the roof to tear the moss’s shallow root system from the shingles. Do not brush up the roof as you might break the bond between shingle layers.

Note how the moss typically starts to grow at the top of the vertical slots between shingles. These areas of asphalt shingles are the last place water evaporates from a roof. Once the moss is removed, inspect these slots to ensure the colored ceramic granules are still in place. If the granules are gone and you see just the interior fiberglass mat of the shingle, your roof is well on its way to being replaced.

Green and black algae are not harmful to the actual roofing material because they do not develop roots. They are more of an aesthetic issue since they make the roof look horrible. Both of these algae can be cleaned from the roof, however the green algae is far easier to remove than the black algae.
It is wise to avoid chorine bleach as a roof cleaner. Chlorine bleach can remove the natural color from wood roofing shakes, it can kill vegetation on the ground if it runs onto the ground as it is rinsed from the roof and it can accelerate corrosion of metal gutter and downspout systems.

A better roof cleaner might be non-toxic oxygen bleach <http://www.stainsolver.com>. This widely available powder is mixed with water and applied to a cool roof surface, preferably on an overcast day. If you keep the roof surface wet with the solution for just 20 minutes and then lightly scrub the roof surface, the algae almost always comes off. Severely stained roofs may require multiple applications of the oxygen bleach <http://www.stainsolver.com> solution. The solution also helps to loosen the grip of the shallow moss roots.

Once the roof is clean you can hinder moss and algae growth by introducing copper onto the roof surface. Visit a roofing supply company that sells tin, copper and galvanized metal products to residential roofers. Often these companies sell rolls of copper that can be cut into long strips. I like to cut strips that are 5 or 6 inches wide and are ten feet long. Using a metal brake tool, I put a 20 degree bend one-half inch in from the edge on one of the long sides of the copper strip. This bend eliminates unsightly waviness that often develops as you cut the copper with a tin snips.

Place these strips of copper near the top of the roof. Slide the unbent edge up under a row of shingles so that the bent edge and 4 inches of copper is exposed to the weather. Each time it rains some copper molecules wash down onto the roof and create a poisoned environment that both the moss and algae dislike. Be patient as the copper eventually will turn a distinctive dark brown and then the classic green color. If you getting ready to install a new asphalt shingle roof, be sure to buy shingles that have copper hidden in the colored ceramic granules."

That is some good stuff Joe… thanks greatly.

For NWJon MAB is the Member Advisory Board

No one knows what they do, though. They skulk around in
the dark of night and do things.

Hey…I’m just kidding–maybe…,

I know what they do.

The law of supply and demand typically states that if demand is high, then prices will rise. Since the cost of my margaritas at Costco has gone up $2 per half gallon, it is obvious that the MAB is drinking waaaaaay too many margaritas, causing demand to go up and supply to go down, thereby increasing my margarita cost.

I just got back from a pool and tennis court inspection. Some of my inspectors beat me back to the office from their inspections. So when they got here apparently there was a large package from a NACHI home inspector somewhere in Washington. Evidence around the opened package indicated an Ed Schwartz from Blue Planet Home Inspection Services. My inspectors know that they can open all mail relating to our home inspection company, so, it being a rather large package, they did.

Evidence indicates that there was an unopened bottle of Don Julio Tequila in the package. However, all that is left is an opened, empty bottle, along with an empty bottle of margarita mix. Said employees claim that said bottle was empty when they opened the box. Hmmmmmmmm. Perhaps I’ll know for sure in about an hour or so when I start proofing their reports, or have to complete their reports for them because they are incapable of doing so.

And, of course, I shall have to forbid them from opening the mail in the future.

Of course, I have no idea if my employees drank what might have been a full 750 ML of tequila, or if said Washington home inspector was simply inflicting cruel and unusual punishment upon me by sending an empty bottle of tequila. However, the bottle is quite lovely. It shall make a nice paperweight.

Hey, Ed. My employees thank you, and my pocketbook thanks you. I don’t know what I did, but my employees want me to do more of it. :smiley: :cool:

Wait!!! Can I enter the moss contest.

I especially like the one where they re roofed half of the garage.

Recommend using a lawn mower to maintain the roof.

Dave

what’s moss?

What’s Moss? for some reason my picture didn’t post.

moss.jpg

[quote=jmichalski]
Kevin has a winner!!

I lifted this section about moss and algae growth from somewhere, but I like it alot…

"Significant moss growth was observed on the roof, usually a result of lack of sunlight, high moisture. This natural growth can significantly decrease the life expectancy of this area of roofing and is recommended to be cleaned, and the overhanging branches trimmed back. Some recommendations for cleaning the shingle roofing are included below:
Moss is quite easy to remove. Use a standard bristle scrub brush on a pole and push the brush down the roof to tear the moss’s shallow root system from the shingles. Do not brush up the roof as you might break the bond between shingle layers.
quote]
Interesting about the copper first time I have heard about it .
I had heard about a zink strip many times stopping Algae from growing .
I was lead to understand that you should not try and remove it as this could shorten the life of the shingles .
I was told to be carefull when useing chemicals to kill the moss as you can also damage your Grass and garden below .
If you are going to do it the recommend that you cover every thing with plastic and flush lots of water over the ground to delute the concentrate chemicals .
I was also told never use a pressure washer as this too is hard on shingles .
Thanks Roy sr.