No nails

On today’s inspection as I entered the attic I hit my head on the sheathing, no puncture wounds. There are NO nails protruding through the sheathing. How big of defective is that?

Was it 1x? planking that you saw. May have been an osb reroof. then they went and used short nails? Have seen that a few times. Other than that, you got me.

Nails don’t always have to go right through:

**[FONT=Times New Roman][size=2]9.26.2.2. Nails
(1) [/size][/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman][size=2]Nails used for roofing shall be corrosion-resistant roofing or shingle nails conforming to CSA B111, “Wire Nails,
Spikes and Staples”.
[/size][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman]size=2 [/size][/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman][size=2]Nails shall have sufficient length to penetrate through or 12 mm into roof sheathing.
[/size][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman]size=2 [/size][/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman][size=2]Nails used with asphalt roofing shall have a head diameter of not less than 9.5 mm and a shank thickness of not less
than 2.95 mm.
[/size][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman]size=2 **[/size][/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman][size=2]Nails used with wood shingles or shakes shall have a head diameter of not less than 4.8 mm and a shank thickness of
not less than 2.0 mm and shall be stainless steel, aluminum or hot-dipped galvanized.
[/size][/FONT]

For those in the US that’s a minimum of 3/4" penetration or just through the panel for 1/2" panels like plywood and OSB.

If the sheathing were thicker than 3/4", that might be an acceptable reason to not see nails. I’d suspect shortnailing right off the bat, and try to confirm the condition.