How old is this roof

Hi all,
How old do you think this roof is? What do you estimate its remaining life? These cracks were pretty consistent and deep throughout the roof 1/4" to 3/8". Scuppers, vent flashings and connection @ chimney all looked ok. Agent claims 5 years old…looks older to me. Would another silver-coat help? Thanks for your opinions.

Ed

Hmm, my pics didn’t post. I’ll try again

http://www.nachi.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=2523&stc=1&d=1143841611
http://www.nachi.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=2524&stc=1&d=1143841669
http://www.nachi.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=2525&stc=1&d=1143841699

olson roof 3.jpg

olson roof 1.jpg

ok here’s another try

third try, I’m using the attach image icon and uploading jpg’s that are less than 100 kb. I have uploaded 3 pics for a total of 240kb. ??? A bit of the upload bar is red, but no pics show up on the message. Any suggestions??
Thanks
Ed

Pictures are always nice but…

Usually I can age the roofs I am exposed to (I estimate 1-5, 5-10, etc.) but sometimes I just don’t know how old it is.

If it doesn’t appear to be leaking and the roof shows indications (aligatoring, ponding, etc.) that it may require repair or replacement soon, I report that.

Thanks Larry,
‘Alligatoring’. That’s a good word for what the whole roof looks like.
Ed

If it’s alligatoring, it’s definately older than 5 years or something is seriously wrong.

I had one last year that was pretty bad. Client and realtor really wanted me to bless it for 3 to 5 years so financing would go through. I said no way, get a roofing contractor to do that.:roll: It’s amazing the realtors that try to “sell” you the house when you inspect. “The roof is new… look at these closets their enormous… this is a beautiful place, the sellers have really fixed it up… etc.”:roll:

I never estimate the age of a roof, and I never estimate its remaining life.
I leave that for licensed roofing contractors.
I just document the condition, and based on that condition, either recommend regular homeowner monitoring and maintenance or further evaluation by a licensed roofing contractor.

old or new it’s failing and needs repair/replacing.

I have seen 20 year old roofs that looked about 8 yrs. from the ground so be careful guessing the age.

The roof appeared to be…
…in the first half of its useful life. …at the midpoint of its useful life.
**…in the second half of its useful life. …nearing the end of its useful life. **
…at the end of its useful life. …past the end of its useful life.

Isn’t this from your Interactive Report?:wink: :wink: :wink:

And I had a 2-year-old roof (receipts provided proof) that looked 40 years old from the ground and from up close. Sellers had sealed the turbine, static, gable, and soffit vents and baked the roof.

Yes.

And. . . . ?

…isn’t that estimating the remaining life to some degree?

No. At least not in my mind, not in the mind of my real estate attorneys, and not in the mind of my E&O insurance provider.

Estimating the age would be, “It’s about 5 years old.”
Estimating the remaining years would be, “It’s got about 5 years left.”

I’ve seen those types of statements waaaaaaay too much, particularly in roofing lawsuits.

Using the tell-tale clues that roofing contractors use (and which I learned in Texas when I was doing roofs), one can state that the roof is at the midpoint of its useful life regardless of whether the roof is a 5-year roof, a 10-year roof, a 20-year roof, or a 40-year roof. Now when one finds a 2-year-old roof that is “at the end of its useful life,” it really doesn’t make any different how old the roof is (2 years); it is at the end of its useful life. So what purpose would it serve to state that “The roof is 2 years old” and has “3 years” remaining for its 5-year warranty if it is “at the end of its useful life”?

I’m even wary of using the “useful life” part. If the client wants know such things…well, that’s why roofers were invented.

I’ve seen 2 or 3 year-old roofs leak and 25 year-old old asphalt roofs that look fairly new and no leaks. And this area can be rough on asphalt roofs.

If they ask I just tell 'em “go away, kid–ya bodder me”.

Test picture:

http://www.nachi.org/forum/images/2006/attach/jpg.gif

IM000254.JPG (70.6 KB)

IM000254.JPG

Test picture:

IM000254.JPG (70.6 KB)

IM000254.JPG

Ed. It took me a while to figure out the pics. Once it uploads, you have to highlight the picture info and copy it and then paste it in your text area. Hope this helps. I’ve been doing roofing for the past 18 years, but shingles and flashing are my specialty, so maybe in the future it you post pics of shingled roofs, maybe I can give you some good info.

Hey all, thanks for your thoughts…I like the way posts evolve into an HI group mastication fest.

It is true that we all age at different rates, for example did you know that Jae and Russel were the same age?

Thanks Steve…that was the info I needed to post the pics. They are now posted at the beginning of the thread. Now I’m looking forward to opinions based on something other than my verbal description. I am not very familiar with hot-mop roofs, most roofers around here go with torch-down for low angle roofs anymore. So I’m still looking forward to more comments on this roof.
Ed