Outdoor kitchens

Anyone have any good information on inspecting outdoor kitchen/permanent bbq areas? Do they require gfci protection just the same as an indoor kitchen? What if there’s no sink? I’m looking for something detailed I can read/watch. I’ve searched the web and found some good info on how to build, but not on how to inspect. Thanks.

All outdoor outlets require GFCI protection.

As already stated, GFCI is required outdoors, kitchen or not.

Sink is the same as any other sink. Check that it works, and drains.

If there is a gas line fed grill, check the gas line. Many times the grill is so rusted it can’t be tested, so state that if it applies. Note any signs of prior repair or rust in the gas line.

Then step back and ask yourself what’s going to happen in a major rains storm. Being we are here in Southern California, where it doesn’t rain often, designers don’t always take in account what will happen on those rare days where we do get a storm. And what will happen in middle of August when the outdoor space is baking in 110 degree heat day after day.

I agree, it is require in every outdoor outlet to have GFCI protection. It’s needed to protect people’s safety from electrical shock.

Most outdoor equipment never works. Just exclude them, as they are not part of the main residence. Check, however, for GFCI and proper gas lines, which technically, are part of the residence. IMO, of course.

Charge extra for it.

As of late, when I can see on Zillow photos that there is an outdoor kitchen, I’ve been charging an extra $25. If I don’t catch it before I don’t charge for it because most of my clients are repeat or referrals and I don’t like to nickel and dime clients.

Inspecting them is routine, sink trap, gas source; i.e. bottle or hard plumbed. I turn on the gas to see if grill works. Almost always the auto ignition does not work and I light the burners with a Bic torch and report on igniter. Look at the counter tops, often they are deteriorated if ceramic tile is used. The sinks usually only have cold water and I state that. Sometimes I find that when they are built with cinder blocks, access to inner cavity is blocked. Be careful with snakes and spiders inside and make some racket before you stick your head inside. Also, if hard plumbed, make sure there is a gas shut off valve. Remember, your doing a general visual inspection of conditions. Yes, GFCI’s are important. When the grill has a spit (rotating meat roaster) I don’t check it because there are usually attachments that go with it that I don’t want to go look for and set up. If it’s just a toggle switch I’ll turn it on but that’s rare.

Outdoor sinks should tie into the sewer with proper traps and vents/AAVs (vents are often left off of outdoor kitchens) and not drain to the yard or yard drains.

Some localities have fire protection requirements for BBQ/kitchens under overhangs. Watch for daisy chained gas appliance connectors and connectors through partitions.

I expect that freeze protection may be a concern in colder climes.

GFCI protection is mandatory for outdoor kitchens. This is will be recommended by the concerned contractors and builders right in the beginning itself. We got our outdoor kitchen landscape designing by Infinity gardens here in Calgary. We were advised to take an inspection and we got it done soon after. I wonder why many of contractors and builders fail to mention these before they sign up the contracts!!