Roofs give me ACID

This State just went through another of many hail storms and I am just sick of them. Roofing contractors, insurance adjustors, home inspectors never have the same opinion as to damage.

I have been doing documentation with PICs to CYA but how can you tell one set of shingles from another in a PIC if you were in court and had to prove the pics were of the roof in question. I try to get a shot of the roof that is identifiable to the home such as I have shown below. I also take a close up of the shingles but it is hard to see hail dings in a pic unless extremely large

What do you guys think will this work to CYA

I take the original pic and put it side by side by the one that I blow up and highlight the damage. I usually try to include something that is an identifier and will be a common denominator between the two photographs.

LIKE THIS…

So what’s the problem?! :stuck_out_tongue: Squirrels have to get in somewhere!

Dave , how did that happen?

I betting the DIY’er was using a dull-sledge hammer to run the Romex. Just shows you need to always keep your tools sharp for making clean holes.

:wink:

One method is to put a small placard with the address and date in the photo before you take it (like they do at crime scenes). That way no one can claim you doctored the photos. Easy to make up on a white post card and then you can just toss it afterwards.

Good idea Doug; Duh never entered my mind:) sometimes I feel a roof can be a crime scene Thanks

Any photo (today) can be doctored.

You give me any photo, and I’ll have it doctored in minutes.

Yes, I am aware of that. It is just a simple solution for a not so difficult problem.

More pictures are always better than too few.

I take photos of every stage of every job that we do.

First photo is always of the front exterior of the home and try to get the address in it, or else I close in tighter for the address shot.

Damage photos are marked clearly with yellow or red lumber crayon and numbered.

Various views from on the roof top are made of all numbered damage points.

A gound level zoom in is made after the close up damage shots were made.

Ancilliary photos of related damage are taken to substantiate the diagnosis I conclude.

Are you more specifically asking how to identify real and actual current hail damage versus either old age pitting of shingles and/or old age hail damage on shingles not from a current coverable time period.

I have excellent data pulled from multiple engineering firms and shingle manufacturers, which would be of assistance if that is what you are specifically lookig for.

Ed

Can you make me look 15 years younger and 50 lbs lighter? :mrgreen:

I don’t have a problem identifying old or new hail dings or age pitting for that matter my problem is inconsistency between Hungary roofing contractors and insurance adjustors. Roofing contractors in this state are not required to be licensed and run amuck quite frequently. Some adjustors will total a roof when it is very hard to see any damage at all and other adjustors will say no damage when the roof is beat to crap you can never tell which way it will fall until after the fact. I am just belly griping sure I will live through this always do

Chris…Mr. Valley may be good, but he ain’t no miracle worker…:mrgreen:

Thats the problem with digital pics trying to use them to CYA any attorney would tear them apart I doubt they could even be used as evidence for the very reason you stated.

I know Horse associations will not except digitals for registration purposes have to be the real Kodak

No I’m not a miracle worker by any means, but if you send me your photo, I’ll bet that I can definitely impress you.

I’m good at doctoring just about anything. Just look at Britney and I in her good ole’ days.

“Click to Enlarge”

Sorry…Back on topic now.