Seal Exterior Window or Not

I always recommend sealing around exterior windows. In this case the windows were not sealed at the brick veneer.

Would you recommend sealing these windows with an exterior caulk such as polyurethane caulk?

The reason I ask is because a builder told me today that don’t need any caulk and are fine the way they are.

I have always left them uncaulked

So what is going to prevent water from getting in during a rainstorm not to mention the cold or heat…

As I understand it, if the window is installed properly with the nailing flange and the drainage plane behind the brick veneer that is where the sealing takes place. And, that work is, typically, out of view once the brick is installed. Bricks do not keep water out. That is the job of the drainage plane at the wall sheathing and weeps below.

Well said

Below copied from the Construction Performance Guidelines for the Ontario Building Industry.

http://www.tarion.com/Warranty-Protection/Pages/Construction-Performance-Guidelines.aspx

[FONT=Arial-BoldMT][size=3][FONT=Arial-BoldMT][size=3]CONDITION[/size][/FONT][/size][/FONT]
[FONT=ArialMT][size=3][FONT=ArialMT][size=3]WINDOW UNIT LEAKS DURING RAIN[/size][/FONT][/size][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial-BoldMT][size=3][FONT=Arial-BoldMT][size=3]Acceptable Performance/Condition[/size][/FONT][/size][/FONT]

[FONT=ArialMT][size=3][FONT=ArialMT][size=3]Windows shall not allow water penetration under
[/size][/FONT][/size][/FONT][FONT=Arial-ItalicMT][size=3][FONT=Arial-ItalicMT][size=3]normal [/size][/FONT][/size][/FONT][FONT=ArialMT][size=3][FONT=ArialMT][size=3]weather conditions when properly closed.[/size][/FONT][/size][/FONT]

[FONT=Arial-BoldMT][size=3][FONT=Arial-BoldMT][size=3]Warranty[/size][/FONT][/size][/FONT]

[FONT=ArialMT][size=3][FONT=ArialMT][size=3]One-Year. Work and Materials[/size][/FONT][/size][/FONT]
[size=3][FONT=ArialMT][size=3][FONT=ArialMT]Two-Year. [/size][/FONT][/size][/FONT]

[FONT=Arial-ItalicMT][size=3][FONT=Arial-ItalicMT][size=3]Building Envelope [/size][/FONT][/size][/FONT][FONT=ArialMT][size=3][FONT=ArialMT][size=3]Water Penetration[/size][/FONT][/size][/FONT][FONT=ArialMT][size=3][size=3][FONT=ArialMT]. Damage caused by improper maintenance or an act of God is excluded from thestatutory warranty.

[/size][/FONT][/size][/FONT][FONT=Arial-BoldMT][size=3][FONT=Arial-BoldMT][size=3]Action[/size][/FONT][/size][/FONT]
[FONT=ArialMT][size=3][FONT=ArialMT][size=3]Defective windows that leak shall be [/size][/FONT][/size][/FONT]

[FONT=Arial-ItalicMT][size=3][FONT=Arial-ItalicMT][size=3]repaired [/size][/FONT][/size][/FONT][FONT=ArialMT][size=3][FONT=ArialMT][size=3]or replaced.[/size][/FONT][/size][/FONT]

[FONT=Arial-BoldMT][size=3][FONT=Arial-BoldMT][size=3]Remarks[/size][/FONT][/size][/FONT]

[FONT=ArialMT][size=3][FONT=ArialMT][size=3]The [/size][/FONT][/size][/FONT][FONT=Arial-ItalicMT][size=3][FONT=Arial-ItalicMT][size=3]homeowner [/size][/FONT][/size][/FONT][FONT=ArialMT][size=3][FONT=ArialMT][size=3]must ensure operable windows are properly closed, weatherstripping and [/size][/FONT][/size][/FONT][FONT=ArialMT][size=3][size=3][FONT=ArialMT]caulking is maintained and drain ports are not obstructed.[/size][/FONT][/size][/FONT]

[size=3][FONT=ArialMT][size=3][FONT=ArialMT]The window manufacturer may provide extended warranty coverage.

See Appendix A5 .How to Conduct a Water Test. for more information.

[/size][/FONT][/size][/FONT][FONT=ArialMT][size=1][FONT=ArialMT][size=1]Words in italics are defined in the .Terminology. section on pages 15-17.[/size][/FONT][/size][/FONT]

Caulking not only keeps water out, but also prevents it from getting out…

The “caulking”, should be performed at the drainage plane of the wall.

Check the window mfgrs. specs most call for backer rod and sealant.

How is Dave?

I have always sealed the sides and top but not at the bottom so any moisture that got behind the brick can still drain. That was how I was taught many years ago and how I still do it today.

I am not saying they are right it is just what they call for and without it they are improperly installed.

So I have been told.

Why does a selffashing window need anything

He is correct, the flange is also usually taped from the top down. I have done this a few times with new homes, there is no requirement to caulk, unless specified by the manufacturer.

Bottom up is right proper lap of materials

The sealing can not take place at the flange and moisturebarrier

no way to maintain it if it is not towards the front

once again epic fail

Sounds like a recent familiar discussion huh CB? :slight_smile: :wink:

Assuming that the contractors, AHJ, manufacturers gave a crap in the first place how a window is installed…

Yep

Anyone in class know what backer rod is? Raise your hand or post if you do.

I got a couple of rolls

Thanks Roy

Now will you please explain how and where it is to be installed so these nice people wont think I am a smart*****

Please?

Snipped off in 1 inch segments and used as ear plugs?

Hear no evil, speak no evil, SEE no evil…

Comes in different diameters… so guess it depends… :slight_smile: