Spanish tile roofs

Is it ok to walk on ceramic tile roofs without causing damage?

It is ok to walk on concrete tile without damaging the tile if you are careful.

Pinto sand cast tile (Mexican/Spanish tile) you can not look at without breaking it

http://www.nachi.org/forum/showthread.php?t=562

Google walking on tile roofs, numerous articles and further descriptions

I hate to disagree… but, if you are not familiar with how to do this safely and without damage, don’t even think about doing it.

Regards

Gerry

I belong to another HI association as well as NACHI. One of the training classses was in inspecting roofs where I learned how to walk a tile roof without breaking them and what to look for during an inspection. It was probably one of the best classes I’ve ever attended.

Rule #1 before walking any roof regardless of roofing material is to make sure that the structure supports in the attic can handle your weight.

Rule #2 is be safe and sane. No steep roofs.

Rule #3 is learn from others before you do it on your own.

Here is one method.

walk_boards.jpg (27.6 KB)

You can also ‘hang ten’ on those as they slide down the roof and over the eave. :smiley:

Amen, brother. Tiles and slate are thin ice…be careful on wood shake and shingle roofs too while you are at it.

[quote=dchew]
I belong to another HI association as well as NACHI. One of the training classses was in inspecting roofs where I learned how to walk a tile roof without breaking them…

A little knowledge can be dangerous…avoid the OSM (Oh Shoot Moment) caused by treading where you would be better off staying away from…stay off of these roofs. What if you thought it was concrete but it wasn’t? What if it’s Ludiwici and you break one of those? Be ready for a big claim with the insurance company.

I use special equipment to access any fragile roof to work on them and I explain the risk of damage to the roof in other areas while I am repairing the area of concern. I put that all back on the home owner because there is often no way to avoid it so the collateral damage of the repair becomes a cost of making the repair to the roof.

Use the ladder at various places and the wonders of modern technology such as binoculars and the zoom on the digital camera and do what you can from the ladder.

Here are my thoughts on CLAY, SPANISH or MEXICAN roofs, NEVER WALK ON THEM although if you have to I like Jeff’s method the best.

This is in Mexico would any of you guys walk on these roofs?

with enough Cuervo anything is possible. Ole!
The final tile roof inspection.

If possible, inspecting a tile roof by walking on it is definitely necessary. I can’t tell you how many problems I find on tile rooms when I inspect them. Broken tiles, loose tiles, left over debris ( a lot on one house), no screens on the 2nd floor turret ventilation holes, etc.

Do it if you can.

Won’t walk on them, but would love to have a margarita in the first picture.:smiley:

David

I had a couple of beer from where I took this picture and I know what your talking about.
</IMG>

One beer at a time …

Tak the roofing exam that NACHI gives. THen you can answer that question yourself.