Step tread maximum depth?

Is there any depth at which steps are no longer considered a set of steps that require a handrail?

Is 4 risers all that matters? Does a short rise not require handrail?

How high is the landing? Looks like about 18 inches. You were there, what were they like to walk up and down? From the pic, and applying common sense I would say handrails are not needed provided there are no people with disabilities living in the house.

… or plain old everyday elderly peoples that can’t lift their footsies like they used to! :wink:

Like you Huh? JJ!:smiley:

I’d be more concerned with if those are true outdoor tiles and the deterioration of said tiles becoming a tripping hazard.

The stairs need a handrail.

At times, yes. I have abused my body over the years. Too much hard manual labor for too long a stretch of time. Not enough vacations or relaxing weekends. Priorities first, pleasure later. I aim to make up for that in my ‘declining years’. This ‘gig’ reflects that goal. :mrgreen:

Where the concrete walk meets the tile is a trip hazard, not to mention the concrete walk is eroding underneath.

I never thought I’d get an honest reply from you.
You won’t get one from me.
I think it’s from too much Jimi Hendrix and LSD.
Just tell me have you ever done LSD?
Have you ever listen to Jimi Hendrix when you were doing it?
No need to reply I know the answer

I never thought I’d get an honest reply from you.
You won’t get one from me.
I think it’s from too much Jimi Hendrix and LSD.
Just tell me have you ever done LSD?
Have you ever listen to Jimi Hendrix when you were doing it?
No need to reply I know the answer.
Just so you open up and show your true self…
I did I don’t regret a minute of it

I don’t know why the double post but there they are

JJ I tried to call you you didn’t answer the phone what a great example for the new inspectors.

Just got back from the movies with my family. Now it’s time for homemade pizza. I guess you thought I was bs’ing with my comments above. Sad for you. I’m done with busting my *** all day and night. To hell with other inspectors. I got’s my priorities straight… now!

If you went with number of steps alone to determine the need for a handrail, then any walkway from the sidewalk to the front porch with 4 or more steps would require a handrail, right?

I don’t think I would call for a handrail here. If the grade rises with the walk on each side, the risks and consequences of a fall are about the same as walking along a sloped sidewalk. Is that the wrong way to look at it?