Stucco clearance at roof clarification

The distance (clearance) between the casing bottom/termination of a Hard Coat stucco system and the top of the shingles should be 2 inches…correct? Can anyone point me at a code or EDI statement regarding this. And thanks for your help!!!

Not sure you will find it any code, but good building practice will dictate a 1" to 2" drainage gap between the shingles and the weep screed (or casing bead) of a wire lath stucco system. If the stucco is in contact with the shingles, water will wick up and destroy the metal lath in time.

It’s located in the ASTM standard for the application of the roofing system, or the cladding/siding manufacturer documentation. ASTM C926 doesn’t specifically state distance, but it does say separation shall be provided at dissimilar materials(7.1.4). That could help you in a pinch…

2 inches

consult mfg install guide
2" has been the industry minimum standard as far back as McKee
regional ahj may require more
many ahj wrongly allow less…sad fact of the disposable building industry

the rub has always been homeowners don’t like seeing the metal flashing
finish coat or paint application to match resolves this and meets installation compliance

any siding system should be terminated a minimum of 2" above the roof line to facilitate roof repairs and treatment of flashing and wall material termination, in addition, the clearance allows for free-flow of water and minimizes accumulation of debris
this includes all side walls, chimneys, dormers & parapets

consult mfg install guide
2" has been the industry minimum standard as far back as McKee
regional ahj may require more
many ahj wrongly allow less…sad fact of the disposable building industry

the rub has always been homeowners don’t like seeing the metal flashing
finish coat or paint application to match resolves this and meets installation compliance

any siding system should be terminated a minimum of 2" above the roof covering to facilitate roof repairs and treatment of flashing and wall material termination, in addition, the clearance allows for free-flow of water and minimizes accumulation of debris
this includes all wall to roof intersections at side walls, chimneys, dormers & parapets

even worse the roofers flashing barely goes up the walls 2 inches

kinda like cutting the tip off of a condom it is set up to fail before ever used

sorry for the poor reference but in the end the homeowner gets screwed

1 Like

:mrgreen::wink:

Come on Marcel

I know you got more than that to say

Just glad to see you here to comment on expert opinions that some dearly need.
Nice to see my buddy Adair on here also helping out.

keep it up Jim
I will tell Mom

oh oh…

You’re in for it Jim.

one of these days it will be someone elses turn to be the favorite

I agree 2" minimum is a good idea, butLP allows 1" for their composite lapped siding. They also require a 4" vertical flange.

i’ll see your 1 for lap and raise ya 1/2 for vinyl…ya can’t fix stupid

Install J-channel with 1/2” minimum clearance from shingles

:D:D :smiley: :mrgreen:

Carl & Barry …

I think youse guys must be wrong. Here in Kansas City I mostly see shingles to stucco or EIFS contact. I think the realtor or builder told me its needed to make a good seal.

Dan, those are structural bearing shingles. :mrgreen: