Stucco control joint question

Hi Folks…I ran across this apparent control joint during an inspection of a home with one coat stucco siding, which I am not familiar with. I am hoping that someone can fill me in with it’s purpose and value. Thanks!

DSCN5091.JPG

DSCN5086.JPG

There are none, according to your pictures. That is why the corner is taking the stress, on and off, and creating the corner gap. It is a expansion and contraction thing; hot/cold. Even in cold climates, when the sun comes out, hard coat siding “moves”. Call out the lack of the joints, suggest further evaluation, move on. Joints are only usually half inch wide or less, and run vertically and horizontally in the center panels of the siding, and usually near windows, which expand and contract greater than the siding does. Your area may vary.

Interesting…thank you for your input, Gary!

nothing more then a cosmetic leak.

I “think” he is talking about the wide 4 inch looking recessed band? If so that is just deco and not a control joint

It is called a Reglet and it is usually put there for decorative purposes. If they are not installed correctly they can allow water intrusion. This one appears to be defective due to to its apparent buckling. I would say this in the report just to cover yourself.

This thread is a month old but since it got fired up again and has some misinformation I will comment.

1. The majority of joints on stucco are going to be either “expansion” joints or “control” joints. The control joints are typically placed in 10 to 20 ft square sections like you would see in concrete floors.These “control” any cracking by preventing the crack from running the length of the building.The “expansion” joints help with the buildings movement allowing it to expand and contract,preventing cracking.

2. That is not a reglet as far as I know. That is a decorative band that could use drip flashing above/below. Reglet is actually a company name and people refer to certain flashings as Reglet because Fry Reglet invented some.

Hope this helps whoever comes across this.