Stucco sealing needed?

The stucco window ledges were not caulked at their transition to the stone. Was this necessary? The caulking was done very well at all of the other needed areas.

bump

I not sure about the caulking but I do not see any type of flashing on the window below, it may just I am not seeing it, tit also appears there should be grout/cement between stones.

sigh

Just hope the moisture barriers are installed properly. With that type of stone and the look they wanted it would be kind of disfunctional to try and caulk it.

But most of the window mfgrs. call for the
(backer rod and sealant joint) even if it might do more harm than good in some places.

imo

I have been installing backer rod for 31 years now and I am not a window installer.
I am redoing masonry around windows and sills that have never seen backer rod sense they where installed.

I just met a window installer contact.
I will do some ride alongs and get some information.

As for the windows I can not see enough to give comment.
Carl is giving the best information.

That’s not stucco. The widow ledges are synthetic plant-ons.

I’d be more concerned with the transation between the stone (which is stucco with a rock stuck to it) and the vinyl windows. Here’s what NC “suggests” that we say:

"Manufactured stone veneer has been installed on the front of the home of this house. An inspection of the visible components has revealed that the stone veneer has not been installed in compliance with installation guidelines provided by the Masonry Veneer Manufacturer’s Association (MVMA). A PDF copy of the installation guidelines is available on our website. Other resources about this type of siding are available on our website.

Specific problems noted with the visible components include, but may not be limited to: There is no backer rod or caulk between other materials and the masonry veneer at windows, doors, and adjacent trim.

The lack of proper detailing and flashing may result in water penetration behind the siding, resulting in structural damage. The installation of the manufactured stone veneer should be evaluated, compared to the specific installation requirements of the stone manufacturer and the MVMA, and repaired or replaced as deemed necessary by a licensed general contractor or masonry contractor experienced with installation requirements for manufactured stone veneer.

Please note that because the water resistive barrier, metal lath, and base coat(s) of cement stucco are completely concealed behind the manufactured stone veneer, they cannot be evaluated by a visual inspection."

and/or

“The windows were not installed according to commonly accepted standards and manufacturer installation instructions. Every window manufacturer whose instructions we have viewed requires a gap filled with sealant, typically 1/8”, between the window and masonry material. If the gap is not maintained, the expansion of the masonry wall during warm weather may cause the window to bind. In the worst case, the window frame may crack and moisture could drain into the wall cavity instead of out the window weeps. We recommend that the windows be installed according to the manufacturer’s instructions."

1/8th I thought I had seen 3/8ths

Thanks Joe

I also thought it was with all other materials so the windows could expand and contract, not just the other materials.

I may be wrong on that. My original narrative said 3/8 and I changed here because I thought 3/8 would be a pretty wide caulk bead.

:roll: ???

Thank you for the narrative.
Please explain.
Here’s what NC “suggests” that we say: NC?

NC strictly regulates home inspectors. Going so far as to offer suggestions for wording of certain types of defects. You can see it below.

http://www.ncdoi.com/OSFM/Engineering/hilb/engineering_hilb_recommended_language.asp

Thank you.
Much appreciated.

I am finishing up a stucco home… we use backer rod only when the gap is greater than 1/4". But as Carl pointed out, what is important is the barrier and flashing details that go behind the veneer…this is why Joe is absolutely correct as to the wording with stucco including EIFS products…there are so many things going into the application that unless you are there during the application from start to finish…your foolish to address the condition of the product.

Jeff

A couple years ago they told us not to use the word “APPEAR”…the next session they gave us some suggested wording to use about a certain product of which they use the word “Appeared” in their phrase…no doubt a friken lawyer was helping them put together the curriculum.

I would rather take a friken beating then to go to the annual CE courses they mandate. I have never smoked dope in my life however with each passing year I become more and more tempted when sitting in those classes.

Yet the most window mfgrs. call for the backer rod and sealant joint around their windows no matter what material is going to be close to them.

It is not just a stucco/masonry thing.

Carol, that goes for most exterior materials that are not flush to the next component.
Were two wall services meet. Normally there is 1/3" - 1/2" inch of space were backer rod is applied.
Here is a foundation wall meeting brick cladding or veneer with one inches of open area.
A 3 point contact first of all and wide open spaces.
No flashing and a tube of clear caulk doing nothing much but telling me if clues where shoes this guy would be bare foot and blistered.:roll: