Stucco weep screed - where are the holes?

Traditional stucco on wood frame. Weep screed in place, but I didn’t see or feel any holes in the horizontal edge of the screed.

Is this maybe a non-stucco screed or something or are the holes hard to see or feel?

Here’s a link to the type of weep screed I thought it was, except the house I’m talking about didn’t have any holes in the horizontal part of the screed, but it did have holes in the angled bottom part.

http://activerain.com/image_store/uploads/8/6/4/6/8/ar130755449886468.jpg

Whatcha think?

Look at your diagram, you’re not going to see the holes.

Holes would be hidden from view as per the drawing.

I see holes in your first picture. Holes are not needed for the weep screed to work.

I could see the horizontal layer by pulling back the diagonal layer.

Funny, the diagram I uploaded basically said what Chuck said - it doesn’t drain through the holes in the weep screed - it drains between the weep screed and stucco. Seems like holes would be a good idea though. I’ve called out weep screeds without holes before. Oh well, live and learn…

I also saw the holes in the first but was actually wondering “TODAY” if folks would know the modern weep / stucco accessories if they saw them. Real weird though that I was just thinking about it :slight_smile:

That is not meant as a shot. I recently started quality control inspections for a national builder and myself learned after 30+ years in the stucco biz that some of the newest products do not actually have holes. I imagine most would not know they were what they are if they saw them.

Meeker, you’ve done it again! :slight_smile:

Share knowledge, not calling out ignorance.

Please.

Pretty please?

Paul,

I do not understand if you are saying I Was sharing Knowledge or calling out ignorance.

I certainly was not trying to call out ignorance as I stated I just learned of a weep screed I did not know was one and doubted anyone else would have either.

Things are changing for the better in stucco and the newest products are better and sometimes no ones knows what they are unless they are told as I was. I was paid to check on their system and was not afraid to ask them showing my own ignorance of a new product. I was the one supposed to be the expert in that situation and neither one of us at the time knew if it was or not BUT now we now know what it is and how it works. Curious as why my comments seemed to insult?

Paul,

I do not understand if you are saying I Was sharing Knowledge or calling out ignorance.

I certainly was not trying to call out ignorance as I stated I just learned of a weep screed I did not know was one and doubted anyone else would have either.

Things are changing for the better in stucco and the newest products are better and sometimes no ones knows what they are unless they are told as I was. I was paid to check on their system and was not afraid to ask them showing my own ignorance of a new product. I was the one supposed to be the expert in that situation and neither one of us at the time knew if it was or not BUT now we now know what it is and how it works. Curious as why my comments seemed to insult?

Meeks, share what you learned!

I didn’t learn anything from your post except that I don’t know something. So tell me!

Not insulted, just prodding for for the abracadabra/open sesame of the Meeker vault… :slight_smile:

Once again I do not understand you. What I was sharing in the post is that I saw a weep screed a person who has 30+ years in the biz and a multiple project manager on site could not identify that an item was a weep screed so it is very easy not to know if something is or is not even with a lifetime of knowledge of the subject. I assume by you first post you knew you did not know something about the current picture and I sure do not feel as if I taught you that or even tried too. If anything I was saying not to sweat it as it is sometimes tough to tell in a rapidly changing field.

Please let me know if anyone else out there thought what I said was insulting or sounded as if I were talking down to Paul?

Good questions.

What did you learn? That’s all I want to know.

How are the new weep screeds, or whatever, different from what your 30+ years experience had taught you?

In simplest terms, what can you teach me, what do I need to know to make me as knowledgeable as you?

When I can get a good picture of one I will try to post it to share with all here.

Seems to me as though you felt as if I have attacked you in some manner. If you don’t mind and feel that way please do me the favor of copying and posting or whatever to share with me what it was so I do not unintentionally insult anyone else.

When I wish too, I never have a hard time telling folks how I feel about them and have no need to insinuate anything.

Ok then nice talking to you…

LOL! I’m still laughing.

Petulent sarcasm on a professional forum is funny! No offense intended.

I didn’t take offense or insult from any of your posts Michael. I just wanted to see a picture of the new weep screeds or be told how they are different so I left the forum smarter than when I arrived.

Imagine I posted “Hey guys, I found out how to tell the exact age of any shingle” and then didn’t tell you how you could do it. That’s all.

I will provide the information from the manufacturer when I can get it. I do not have a current picture and I do not believe it works as the Stucco guy said but it may. When I have the facts which will be some time until I get back up there again but I did request the info at the time and should get it some day.

If you have not noticed yet this forum is not quite so formal with the regulars. Many around here will say things for a giggle or smile. Little jabs back and forth are common and keep things light until it goes to far. I think most regulars would agree.

Would you like me to email you whatever I get once I get it?

I would be glad to.

I shall provide soon I now have some picts to share. It will be a while but I will get them up :slight_smile:

While everyone was having fun at the convention I was dumpster diving for ya :slight_smile:

Thanks Meeks. Hope you got some good pizza while you were in there… :slight_smile:

Fortunately it was the job site dumpster. Clean trash if there is such a thing :slight_smile: