Do you test the garage door reverse function?

Do you test the garage door as per ANSI UL Standard 325, states that garage door opener must stop and re-open the vehicle door within two seconds of the door striking an 1 1/2-inch thick object placed under the center of the door?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6wYGXIr9Go)

I do for every door that passes the visual inspection, as long as there is no vehicle under it. I test them the way that they were designed to be tested too.

Prime Photos

I knew you would Chuck.

Yes.

Yes!

Garage door pressure safety return (auto reverse) was inoperative. Recommend this be repaired as to avoid a safety hazard.
Note: According to reports received by the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC), approximately 60 children between the ages of 2 and 14 have been trapped and killed under automatic garage doors since March 1982. This is approximately 4 such deaths per year. Other children have suffered brain damage or serious injuries when the closing door contacted them, and failed to stop and reverse its direction.

I follow the DASMA protocol.

Are you concerned when you see the operator arm is only connected to the panel by screws and no bracket?

Absolutely!

I don’t perform a pressure reverse test on those because they fail the visual inspection that we perform first. They get written up for lack of required door bracing and we state that the test was not performed due potential for damage because of improper installation.

This one I did not open…

1 Like

I wouldn’t either Roy. That is dangerous right there.

This is a great checklist and protocol for home inspectors that wish to inspect the garage door for the safety of their client. The pressure test is the last item to inspect, only after passing all the previous tests. http://www.dasma.com/pdf/publications/techdatasheets/commercialresidential/tds167.pdf

That is good Frank. Thanks for posting.

I don’t put a block under a door for pressure reversing. If pressure reversing is not active it can do damage. I just grab the door with my hand.

Yep!

Originally Posted by wcollier https://nachi.cachefly.net/forum/images/2006/buttons/viewpost.gif
I don’t put a block under a door for pressure reversing. If pressure reversing is not active it can do damage. I just grab the door with my hand.
Yep!

Exactly

Every broken door story that you read about in this forum was done exactly the way you say you do it. When you break one, be prepared to pony up.

I have done thousands and have never had a problem. I guess you have to know what you are doing.
I think it is an important feature and should be required testing for child safety…

" According to reports received by the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC), approximately 60 children between the ages of 2 and 14 have been trapped and killed under automatic garage doors since March 1982. This is approximately 4 such deaths per year. Other children have suffered brain damage or serious injuries when the closing door contacted them, and failed to stop and reverse its direction. "

Children being trapped and killed or brain damaged!
I’ll NEVER refer you again you scared my buyer!:stuck_out_tongue:

18+ years and no broken doors…Some people just don’t know when to let it go.