vinyl siding lower edge to masonry

We have a builder that now uses some manufactured stone around the slab stem wall with a “cap stone” on top. The vinyl siding comes down right on top of this cap stone with no J-channel and no flashing visible on three sides of the house. In other words, the vinyl siding is grouted along the bottom edge with no way to drain.

This grouted joint is lower than the wood framed wall but trapped moisture there could weep up into the concrete towards the interior.

The builder is putting up resistance since they did most of the development this way and it has passed many code inspections.

I found a document that describes drilling holes in the vinyl siding at the lower edge but it did not go into much detail. I guess that about covers it since any holes drilled would have to have a way to drain but I am looking for more detail.

Anyone have a detailed document that shows horizontal joints like this?

Bruce something like this? Also check here PG 16 http://www.ncdoi.com/OSFM/Engineering_and_Codes/Documents/HILT_Documents/MVMA%20Installation%20Guide_3rd%20Edition_Final.pdf

30SR06WD001_preview.gif

thanks but I need something more detailed about the bottom edge of vinyl siding where it butts into something at the top of the slab. The stone was installed just over the slab stem wall. Even when they have vinyl siding down to the porch slab under a covered roof they use a J-channel along the bottom.

Can you post an image ?
As to you question, its hard to know what to recommend without knowing how the building developed the wall assembly.

Did you take an imaging looking up from the stem wall?

002.JPG

003.JPG

Question; was there visible water or staining?

We do not report on what might happen further down the road. if you can not see the defect or deficiency utilize the Limitations in your reporting effort.

The copping stones have a deep rain notch by the looks of it.

Limitation: Unable to observe if any flashing detail was used at the starter course of the siding at the steam-wall sill plate wall assembly.
Ask the builder for full disclosure.

Man I avoid this stuff at all costs unless I am sure I can photograph the deficiency and there is non compliant building or there is visible verification water was infiltrating.
That is why I purchased tools. IR for one.
The buyer and agent deserve to given the right information.
You will not make referrals doing it any other way.

IMO: The copping stone is curffed. No water retention here.
The new building property has a warranty I take?
Let sleeping dogs lay.

Bust out the pressure washer and moisture meter LOL

Really?

Do you predict what you can not see nor detect?
We report on our observations.

But Robert the observation is that there is no flashing or weep hole to allow water to escape. This could hold water against the wall and eventually into the home.

I don’t think you are suppose to install vinyl siding in that manner (still looking around) and if that’s true wouldn’t that be an observed defect then?

Good point Greg.
I can not tell by the images so there for I will excuse myself.
I recommend the inspector approach a licensed siding installer and avoid talking about the job in question.
Try to find the SIDING MANUFACTURES NAME and approach them for recommended installations.

The OP’s #1 post.
“The builder is putting up resistance since they did most of the development this way and** it has passed many code inspections**.”
The AHJ overrides everything.

You are between a rock and a hard place.

That is why I mentioned.
In my report I might note:
Observation: Unable to observe the starter flash or any drip channels for condensation or weather intrusion.
Recommend: Ask the builder for full disclosure.

hope that helps.

Post all the images you have.
Lets look at this suspect issue.

Robert, I am not trying to argue with you, I am just asking questions in the pursuit of a better understanding of things, are my questions going way past the scope of a home inspection, perhaps, but that’s just who I am (and I do not currently offer inspections to the public, but I do “inspect” RE on an almost daily basis for myself and business partners …my stance is things that aren’t don’t correctly, will most likely cause an issue at some point in time, that will be, before that component should have had an issue. Now I am the first to admit I see stuff everyday that was done completely wrong and has outlived its expected life, LOL.

I have actually looked at a couple of different manufacturer’s installation
instructions trying to find the obvious “here is how it should be” and I believe (90%) at this point that it the above pictures show an incorrect installation of material’s. I am not 100% sure on what makes it “wrong” as I am not an installer but I would bet a manufacturer would agree to that. Are those “issues” truly issues? That is impossible to know without knowing a lot more details about the house and area

and just to throw it out there, but some siding comes with weep holes from the factory (which tells me they expect water to get behind the siding)

Wood siding shown on the details, but same would apply for the vinyl siding.
Flashing should be visible and a counter flashing provided for the nails in the starter strip penatraiting the primary flashing.

Sorry! if my demeanor seemed tough.
I can see your point clear as a bell.
I agree one hundred percent.
What you have to do is talk to the AHJ and talk it trough.

replies in quote

replies in quote