WDI or WDO?

There are these small holes in the wood cladding on this house. They are in line and in several areas. Is this WDI or WDO? I read that woodpeckers can also do this type of damage. As you can see from the pics, this is a heavily vegetative area.

This appears to be carpenter bees. They make small round holes like these and lay their eggs in them. When they hatch the new born make round exit holes. If it is woodpeckers they make holes to eat insects in the wood. It may be a good idea to recommend further evaluation from a pesticide company.

Eric
Closer Look Property Inspections
www.closerlookpi.com

Carpenter bees getting too close to the surface. Woodpeckers follow the carpenter bee infestation. They make holes though - big round holes. They eat the baby bees inside the gallery.

This is more likely rot from water intrusion at nail holes. The holes are far too small to be carpenter bees. Carpenter ants are a possibility, though the linear perfection and symmetry of these holes appear to have been man made. Also, height is a factor.

My opinions are based on my part of the country. As far as wood peckers those holes are too small. Carpenter bees will leave almost perfect circles as if a drill made the holes. Cannot really tell you what type of damage it is based on the photos. I would recommend further inspection by a WDI.

One of the holes (or two) appear to be the carpenter bee entry hole. The bee entered in there, then turned 90 degrees left and right, then moved across the board horizontally. The infestation then was followed by a woodpecker in a few areas (possibly).

Or

It was a bullet from a hunter and grazed the siding.

Either way, I usually to take a my screwdriver, probe, scratch and prick the wood beyond the point of deduction, then call for repair. hee hee just kidding :slight_smile:

I’ve watched woodpeckers make holes just like that.

I’m going to go with Wood Pecker holes

yes
but i think the peckers are following a carpenter bee gallery.
carpenter bee damage.JPG

One of the best courses that ever offered http://www.nachi.org/wdocourse.htm
Free. Online. Take your time. Learn at your own pace.

](http://www.nachi.org/wdocourse.htm)

This is a carpenter bee infestation I had on my very own front porch. Check out the lower portion of THIS WEB PAGE for nice up-close images of a Carpenter Bee infestation.

We have an all black carpenter bee here in Hawaii but I’ve never seen them in plywood or masonite type of siding or trim. They seem to love redwood and cedar solid lumber.

www.MauiHomeInspections.com

This is a good photo of a carpenter bee.

Hmmmm. That line is too perfectly straight (looks mechanical), holes are too tiny for me to believe it is bees. It looks just like some dickweed was looking for a stud with a small nail to attach the siding. You can see the wood fibers pulled “out” around most of the holes. Several are elongated from the same rocket scientist wiggling the nail to extract it from a particularly tight hole. That is just my opinion but I have seen this too many times, normally on the gables where there aren’t any 16" O.C. studs to attache to but there are gable trusses. We have a ****load of carpenter bees here and a ****load of half azzed carpenters helpers too. T1-11 siding is very very popular here especially on low end apartments and cheap condos because it is cheap and easy to install (for most people).

Would a woodpecker be able to peck on a wall that has nothing for it to hold onto? Can they peck and hover? I wonder if they can grasp onto the the siding?

woodpecker-grasp.jpg

Woodpecker following a carpenter bee infestation.
woodpecker-following-carpenter-bee.jpg

Be aware that different species of woodpeckers eat different foods. Pileated woodpeckers could indicate carpenter ants and leave similar signs.

I’ve never seen carp bees in T-111 like that. I can’t believe they tunneled out of one side of the groove and into the other side of the groove. It doesn’t look like that either. There would have to be big round holes on both sides of the grooves and they aren’t deep enough for that. I do think they are wood pecker holes. The straightness of the line is intriguing, though. Maybe carpenter ants instead.

Cheers,
Tim