Weep holes drilled after the wall is complete?

Anyone ever heard of that? I swear that’s what I think happened, even though the builder’s rep. denied it (new construction). I was there before the walls were pressure washed, before landscaping.

Note the chipped bricks and the brick dust on the soil beneath the weep holes.

What would you say about the potential ramifications and what would be your recommendation?

072930 220.JPG 072930 217.JPG 072930 216.JPG

072930 216.JPG

072930 220.JPG

Where’s the flashing?

I assume it’s behind the brick with holes in it now.

Looks like CMU straight into the earth.
Where is the foundation ?

The developer is a lier too.

Were the lintels and areas above doors flashed and weeped?

Good questions.

The areas above doors and windows were pencil sized and there was no evidence of drilling there.

This is a slab home. Drilled holes were at the slab foundation.

Bob, side question…

How do you tell if a door is flashed after construction is complete?

It’s recommended to extend flashing to the face of the brick.

Anyway you can definitely tell the holes are fresh drilled. It wouldn’t by chance be for pest control?

My guess is that they left them out, and the AHJ caught 'em. It was this or tear the wall down and do it right. If I were the AHJ, I’d tell em “no dice”. Once the wall is built wrong, no amount of drilling “weep” holes will make it right. I know some people recommend “installing” them, but it requires removing multiple rows of bricks, installing proper flashing, and re-installing the rows… even then that is presuming that there is a proper vapor barrier.

Since that is CMU you should see it at the steel lintel above the door frame along with the wicks and at least about "1/2 of moisture barrier sticking out underneath the wicks.

Once again here is what I go by.

Any building constructed since 1970 should have rubber, plastic or metallic “flashing,” a protective skirt that curves around joints to protect against moisture. When water does get through a wall, it collects on the flashing and is released through “weep holes,” small openings in the masonry. These holes are most obvious at the top of the foundation wall.
3/16-inch-diameter weep holes every 33 inches at minimum, just above the flashing . Flashing, in turn, is recommended under the first course of masonry at ground level, above windows and doors, below window sills, and at any lintels and shelf angles .

Not pest control holes.

My house is 8yr old full brick on a slab, no weep holes, no problems.

http://www.masonrysystems.org/images/masonry-basics-small/flashing-drip-edge-weep.jpg

FLASHING

http://maconline.org/duplicate1/image15.gif

Well, if I inspect you’re house, I’ll let it slide. :wink:

But what would you say in this case of new construction?

I include with every report on a brick house that the presence of or proper installation of weep holes is not inspected and that even if they are present they will be blocked on the back side by loose falling mortar. Watch some masons for awhile and you will see. It can’t be corrected without more expense than anyone will take on anyway.

Side note: So you don’t confirm proper installation, but do you call out their absence?

I inspected this home on Monday, built in 2003. Brick, vinyl siding combo. No weeps or visible flashing. No visible problems, yet. In fact 80% of brick veneer homes I inspect are not flashed properly, and lack weeps, in several different municipalities and different code inspectors.

I always point it out, there’s not much you can do after they’re built. Unless damage is noted, and sometimes it is.

The buyer can always shop for another home! :shock:

That’s why I always point it out and attach this or a larger pdf from the brick industry.

But not in the summary, I had a nice long talk with a mason when I built my house and decided to not bother with them. The northern climates are a different story but I wonder if the masons take the time and espense to actually install them correctly AND to slow down and not slop 10 lbs of mortar per linear foot on top of them…

Is the brick below grade not a defect? 4 inches of the slab is recommended above grade and the weepholes are at the brickledge. I’ve seen pictures of this several times looking at older threads and when stated as a slab and not called out had me confused.