Weep Screed

One picture is a column with exposed timber and large gaps where moisture and vermin can go. The other picture is the front wall of the house close to the entry. It looks as though flashing was used where normally you would find weep screed. The house is wood frame and was built in 1997. There is weep screed around the rest of the house.

First question… on the column, other than sealing the exposed lumber would you recommend a repair by a stucco contractor? Is stuffing more styro foam into the void and adding stucco an acceptable repair?

Second question on the front wall would you recommend removing the stucco to see if there is a weep screed where they can uncover the holes? In 1997 would they have flashed this area?

That is weeping 66/caseing bead/stop!

http://amico-lath.com/lath/casing_bead.htm

This is weepscreed!

http://amico-lath.com/lath/foundation_weep_screed.htm

Gary,

Do you have a little larger/wider angle picture?

In pic. #1 they would probably just pack it full of stucco. They could try to keep the bugs out!

In pic. #2 It looks like thay made a Bullnose corner!

Thanks Carl, I don’t have a better picture but I’m doing the inspection tomorrow morning. I like to stop by the evening before if the house is vacant (here in Phoenix many are) and preview what is ahead the next morning. My clients are young first time home buyers and I don’t like to recommend a contractor when they can make a repair on their own if they want to do that.

I’ll try to get better pics tomorrow but I have seen this in the past and wondered if the weep screed was something that is relatively new.

Gary,

Pic 1 looks like E or XPS foam board with chicken wire and the 66 for drainage, some call this California EIFS. I’ll not mention what I call it.
Foam for EIFS or stucco trims is not allowed to be exposed to the elements even at the foundation termination. Anything less is an installation/latent defect, imo and most manufactures agree

If you can, check closley for house wrap/felt…overiding the 66 they may have been trying to design a drainage EIFS onsite before most manufactures caught on to this technique.

You may be able to clearly identify house wrap at a removed receptacle/switch coverplate.

As far as removal of materials to check for flashing, not a recommendation I’d make and I doubt you’d find it with that bullnose finish feature.

This would all be up to your client and you may find more holes or framing overhang where you could moisture meter and probe test for damage, just don’t puncture the surfaces like I tend to do in suspect areas.

No matter what the detail is at the foundation termination a true weep screed is required. Anything less is an installation/latent defect, imo

Good luck, please post results and take your time with the photos, clear shots are better for all concerned, does your camera have Macro feature???

If the stucco guy’s / lather’s were a little more diligent and caring the outside corners of the caseing bead would have been notched and folded around the corner’s. Instead of cut short. They should have also dropped it down another inch and things would at least cosmetically look better!

Just like in the last few pictures.

http://amico-lath.com/lath/casing_bead.htm

The inspection went well. Here is a better picture of what you folks were referring to as weeping 66 or bullnose. Notice my meter is reading in the yellow zone. I see that a lot here in the desert.

So the Bullnose is on a vertical line? That’s how they killed the stucco?

Carl, if you are asking if the bull nose was vertical it wasn’t. It is running horizontal at the bottom of the exterior walls. The picture with the moisture meter is on one of the columns that have the exposed lumber and sloppy corners you mentioned.
Please expand on what you mean by killing the stucco. Thanks.

They just rolled it back into the wall to terminate it instead of putting any kind of bead.

re; weepscreed,casing

You’re getting a case of the RED-azz again.
Dem dirty dawgs F-ed-up again!#-o ](,) #-o ](,) #-o ](*,)