No weep screed

Anyone know how to (if possible) add weep screed after the fact. New Mexico (or Las Cruces) did not require weep screed prior to 2005 (I think). My own home had the stucco installed to grade. I have trenched around to get the soil/sand away from the stucco as it is wicking up when it rains. I would like to add sidewalks around the home but want to make sure I do not damage the stucco in the process. Anyone with any ideas? Thanks

Got a plane ticket??

Undermining the foundation does not sound good
Pictures would help
Make that 2 tickets
Carl’s always helpful :wink:

Ron,

Do you have a couple pictures?

Have you had or done an IR scan?

Is it possible to change the grade a little?

As Barry said 2 tickets would be better! :wink:

How thick is your stucco?

Has it been painted?

You might be able to snap a chalk line on the wall and use a 4" diamond cutting blade set it on a 45 degree angle and cut the stucco.

Kinda like a redneck weep.

After thinking about it further, I am thinking of pouring a sidewalk but leaving enough space between it for moisture to drip out and for concrete expansion. What do you guys think? I also added a couple photos. By the way, the rock wall extends down another 2-3 feet on the opposite side. I am re doing the grade. I have taken out about 12 inches of sand (what a job with a shovel and wheel barrow). Stucco has not been painted. The trench should not undermine the slab, plus after I pour the sidewalks I will probably put gravel in between the sidewalk and the slab. The gap between sidewalk and slab will more than likely be about 2 inches just so if moisture gets through the stucco it has a way to get out. The stucco is about 3/4 inch thick. Just tired of seeing the wicking effects of water and I do not want to have to start repairing stucco or have some one else do it.

No IR scan, but did remodel the master bath which is on this wall, had all the drywall off and did not see any signs of moisture penetration on the sill plate.

Also, I have read that painting a ortland cement type stucco is OK, and then I have heard it is not OK as the stucco needs to breath. What are your feelings about painting a cementatious stucco with an elastomeric paint?

Picture 003.jpg

Picture 002.jpg

Picture 001.jpg

By the way, the rock wall extends down another 2-3 feet on the opposite side. I am re doing the grade. I have taken out about 12 inches of sand (what a job with a shovel and wheel barrow). Stucco has not been painted. The trench should not undermine the foundation, plus after I pour the sidewalks I will probably put gravel in between the sidewalk and the slab. The gap will more than likely be about 2 inches just so if moisture gets through the stucco it has a way to get out. The stucco is about 3/4 inch thick.

As for the painting.

With the stucco having the color in it the longer you can live with the stains from the ageing the better off you are, once you paint stucco it does cut way down on the breathabilty of it. And the paint can trap moisture.

What is going on around your windows?

Stucco right up to them?

Backer rod and sealant joint around them?

Looks like you have no expansion joint’s/control joint’s.

Man, you have good eyes Carl!

Me, I have drugstore 1X powers all over the house, office, shop and vehicle. LOL

No backer rod or sealant. Very typical of the way they put stucco on here. Can the stucco be removed and the backer rod installed and then an elastomeric sealant added?

It can but you might do more harm than good. imo

Why are you wanting to paint your stucco?

My wife wants it a lighter color. Plus there are cracks that need repaired and matching the existing stucco color would be very difficult.

What about fog coating it? Isn’t that like putting another finishing coat on top of the existing coat that is already there?

Ok!

The BOSS said so.

With all that has been said here how about getting an IR inspection?

As per ASTM and AAMA your stucco and windows are improperly installed.
Backer rod and sealant joints.
No weepscreed.
No expansion/control joint’s.

With that in mind your house should have moisture problems out the wazoo.

If you get an IR scan and you do not maybe ASTM and AAMA might be wrong about a few things.

If you get one now and in 3-5 years you have a moisture problem after you put elastomeric paint on it maybe it could help explain a few things.

You might very well still see the patches and the stains thru the new finish coat.

Ron,

check your private messages