would you call this out?

rock (ground) brick contact.

Yes and I would also recommend a window well and raise the AC unit.

I agree with Roy Chris, the weep holes in the brick are most likely covered up to.
Is that Lava Rock?:slight_smile:

Decorative lava rock. What weep holes? :wink: Not this home, built in '87. I was concerned with moisture/insects. at the sill plate and other framing.

If they did not create a brick ledge in the foundation two bricks down from the sill plate, they could be having a problem. :slight_smile:

I forgot about the weep holes, that is non-existent in residential homes, right.? :wink:

No moisture evident at interior, much of lower level was finished though. Here’ a view at right rear corner.

Nice deck framing Chris. Nice bed joint for the brick too! ;):slight_smile:
So I guess weep holes and proper flashing is out of the question EH!:smiley:

The deck was wonderful :wink: several issue with it.

Weeps and flashing are becoming rare in this area, even on new construction. When I find a newer brick veneer home properly flashed and weeped I make a point to praise he builder.

Contractors always like to explain to me why there are not no weep holes in the brick. The number one answer is: If the yard is raised above the weep holes, it will cause water to run into the wall.:roll: Sad but true.](*,)

Must be a different breed of Contractors in your area James.;):slight_smile:

I think that a window well is in order as well.

Depends on where the soil line is in relation to the foundation. Rocks don’t hold water, that’s why they are used to facilitate drainage. Probe down and see if there is soil covering the the sill plate area. If there is, then there might be a problem. Can’t make any more comments without additional information.

Please tell me that you call it out.

I forgot to mention there is non-perforated plastic under the rock, at least at some of the area that I could verify.

The deck, or lack of weeps and flashing?

Lack of required weeps.

In this case no. What can be done to correct it. House built in '87. No visible signs of moisture damage. I no it’s not right, but what can you do? I did point it out to the buyer, who was there for entire inspection, and explained reasoning why flashing and weeps were important in brick veneer construction.

I would Mr.Currins.
I have seen uni-pavers touching brick. The mineral salts in the uni-pavers spalled the brick and the brick face came off.
1: You do not know the pure composition of the stone. If it have salts or iron and other trace minerals it will effect the brickwork.
2: the volcanic stone ( I think it ios ) will hold humidity and the moisture will transfer to the masonary bedding causing-it to degrade faster than it should. The foundation should be 6 inchs above the ground in Montreal Canada.
That downspout is also a call out Mr.Currins… It travels back under the balcony. Its a no-no and should be directed away from the foundation by at least 6 feet.

I don’t have a problem with the stone (except for the window well).

Its not that they hold water its that they ( the lava, volcanic stone ) will not allow the proper air flow to dry out the masonry bedding and the damp stone will react with brick face and masonry.
Also I would be concerned with effervescing on the brick for the cement mixture in the masonry.
The joint ( masonry bedding ) must dry out.
I am also concerned with the lack of a window well on this one.
I also do suspect no flashing in the deck. I see bed jointing degrading when I zoomed in on the photo. See several problems with decking.