Go Back   InterNACHI Inspection Forum > >

Notices

Interior Inspections Contains discussions about the interior portion of a home inspection. This includes stairs, walls, floors, ceilings, smoke detectors, etc.

Old 12/16/11, 1:08 AM
Active Poster

Please Note: An HI is a non-member guest and is in no way affiliated with InterNACHI or its members.
Default Re: Advice on bath exhaust vent termination.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwalmsley View Post
Just an observation but the last few ft. of the pipe should be wrapped with insulation condensation will occur.Warm pipe cold attic air..
If the total length of exhaust pipe is in the cold attic above the insulation, it should be insulated for its length to prevent interior condensation. I have seen a water filled droop in a flexible plastic pipe that blocked all ventilation. There was about 3/4 quart of water.

If the pipe is run in a heated space, then the last 3 feet at the exterior wall should be insulated with an airtight vapour barrier over it to prevent condensation on the exterior of the duct and consequent dripping. Small amounts of cold air bypass the damper into the duct or the air in the duct become cold (not an insulted damper) and condensation on its exteior occurs.
Need a home inspection in South Carolina? Check out InterNACHI's listing of South Carolina certified home inspectors. Or, find a home inspector anywhere in the world with our inspection search engine.
Old 12/16/11, 9:18 AM
Certified Professional Inspector (CPI)

I be darned if I would of went 15 ft to a side wall with a roof within 3 feet $350.00 for a roofer to do what cut a hole in the roof and install a rain cap duh I would have taken the roofer on the roof and pushed him off and screamed $350.00 just as he hit the ground.
Roof vents of some nature are installed on every roof out there what is the big deal about another one. Sometimes you guys advice is off the wall pun intended

http://www.oklahomathermalinfraredimaging.com/
http://www.freedomexpressinspections.com/
Master HVAC Mechanic Retired
Level III Thermographer # 8486 Infraspection Institute
CMI Certified Master Inspector
Residential/Commercial Inspections
Moisture Intrusion Expert Witness
55 years in the Trades
Okla State License # 130
580-268-3340
Old 12/16/11, 9:37 AM
Active Poster

Please Note: An HI is a non-member guest and is in no way affiliated with InterNACHI or its members.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbottger View Post
I be darned if I would of went 15 ft to a side wall with a roof within 3 feet $350.00 for a roofer to do what cut a hole in the roof and install a rain cap duh I would have taken the roofer on the roof and pushed him off and screamed $350.00 just as he hit the ground.
Roof vents of some nature are installed on every roof out there what is the big deal about another one. Sometimes you guys advice is off the wall pun intended
Well said. On Monday I inspected a house with a decent quality range hood installed. It ends there.

The installer went against the manufacturer's instructions of 6" diameter (28.3 sq in) or 3 1/4 X 10 (32.5 sq in) ducting. He installed 4" diameter (12.6 sq in) spiral wound aluminized ducting, essentially dryer ducting. It was about 20' to a side wall while a roof vent would have about 3-4' of duct.

Spiral wound duct acts like ducting of 1 size smaller, so this 4" duct is performing like 3" (7.1 sq in) straight smooth duct! So this is essentially a working condition that is 75% smaller than recommended.

It was uninsulated through a cold attic on top of the insulation batts.

Like I said, a decent medium quality range hood only. Wonder how well that will work?

Last edited by An HI; 12/19/11 at 1:40 AM..
Old 12/16/11, 9:48 AM
Certified Master Inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwalmsley View Post
Just an observation but the last few ft. of the pipe should be wrapped with insulation condensation will occur.Warm pipe cold attic air..
I have the insulation and plan on insulating the last few feet of exposed pipe. I did the other pipe about a week ago.
Old 12/16/11, 9:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgratton View Post
https://www.nachi.org/bathroom-ventil...ducts-fans.htm

And the best practice is to slant horizontal runs of duct down toward the exterior outlet to drain any condensation outside, just saying!
Yes, I could of done a better job with that, so I guess it is not the best practice.
Old 12/16/11, 9:53 AM

Quote:
Lets see, I have a 5 year roof that was professionally done and both chimneys leak, the plumbing vent leaks.

I was able to install through the sidewall myself and did not want to extend through the roof.

I thought the advice that was given was excellent and I appreciated the time others took to help me out.

I will need someone next spring to redo the chimneys and plumbing vent flashing's. The chimneys have leaked since day 1 of the roof install as it seams it penetrates between the flashing and bricks and mortar as no one wants to bend the flashing into the mortar joint and then seal.There are also numerous fractures in the brick and mortar. If anybody in the area wants the job I will pay a proper fee.
Old 12/16/11, 4:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmacy View Post
Lets see, I have a 5 year roof that was professionally done and both chimneys leak, the plumbing vent leaks.

I was able to install through the sidewall myself and did not want to extend through the roof.

I thought the advice that was given was excellent and I appreciated the time others took to help me out.

I will need someone next spring to redo the chimneys and plumbing vent flashing's. The chimneys have leaked since day 1 of the roof install as it seams it penetrates between the flashing and bricks and mortar as no one wants to bend the flashing into the mortar joint and then seal.There are also numerous fractures in the brick and mortar. If anybody in the area wants the job I will pay a proper fee.
David we install vents through brand new roofs that are a week old all the time I don't suppose there is anything special about your roof if your roof is already leaking what's another leak between friends. Just kidding Sounds like ya need to find a different roofing contractor

55 years in the Trades
Okla State License # 130
580-268-3340
Old 12/16/11, 6:32 PM

Quote:

Looks like Charley wore his cranky pants today ...

Jim McKee
Lorain, Ohio
440 225 8688
www.classicinspector.com
Old 12/16/11, 8:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmckee View Post
Looks like Charley wore his cranky pants today ...
Nah just wanted to rip your shorts knew you would be back, Buddy
Have a Merry Xmas Jim

55 years in the Trades
Okla State License # 130
580-268-3340
Old 12/16/11, 8:34 PM
Certified Master Inspector ®

I put my vent through the roof 4 years ago which is about 3' above the ceiling and never had a problem.
And anyone charging $350 should be thrown off the roof as Charley said. Took me two hours to install the fan and roof vent.

Mine is not insulated and my roof that I installed 16 years ago and flashing does not leak. Seems like roofers in your area are a little steep in price and don't know what they are doing, just call themselves roofers.

CMI 2004-2017 Retired

Awards Committee Member
U.S. Member of the Year Winner 2009
45 Years Residential/Commercial Builder
Submit your AWARDS NOMINATIONS here
The InterNACHI Awards Committee is the final authority of issuance of any award the committee offers and any rules updates.
Old 12/16/11, 9:26 PM

Quote:
Nah just wanted to rip your shorts knew you would be back, Buddy
Have a Merry Xmas Jim

You too Partner ...will be thinking about You guys on Monday...

Jim McKee
Lorain, Ohio
440 225 8688
www.classicinspector.com
Old 12/17/11, 1:25 AM
Active Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcyr View Post
I put my vent through the roof 4 years ago which is about 3' above the ceiling and never had a problem.
And anyone charging $350 should be thrown off the roof as Charley said. Took me two hours to install the fan and roof vent.

Mine is not insulated and my roof that I installed 16 years ago and flashing does not leak. Seems like roofers in your area are a little steep in price and don't know what they are doing, just call themselves roofers.
I have seen 2 small (1"+) icicles hanging from a interior fan cover a few years ago. It was a new package home from a major modular home company.

The bathroom was on the north corner of the house with the exterior vent outlet facing north. Got a call from the owner ( my life insurance guy) after a very cold February night.
Old 4/11/18, 11:00 AM
InterNACHI Applicant

I have a question about a bathroom vent that terminates at a foundation vent in the crawl space, but does not extend through the vent to the exterior. Is this an acceptable installation? Thanks
Need a home inspection in South Carolina? Check out InterNACHI's listing of South Carolina certified home inspectors. Or, find a home inspector anywhere in the world with our inspection search engine.
Old 4/11/18, 11:04 AM
Certified Master Inspector ®

No! It should went through the exterior wall.

InterNACHI Lifetime Member.
www.1stproinspection.com
roy@1stproinspection.com
Serving Gainesville Florida and surrounding areas.
Florida Certified Contractor #CRC1328001
Florida Certified Home Inspector #HI7019
Deus solus me iudicare potest
#1st Pro Inspection
Well! They may have degrees, but that is not an indicator of common sense or right thinking...M. Larson circa 9-27-2018.
Old 4/12/18, 5:13 AM
Certified Professional Inspector (CPI) ®

Send a message via AIM to jfrederick

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtriggs View Post
I have a question about a bathroom vent that terminates at a foundation vent in the crawl space, but does not extend through the vent to the exterior. Is this an acceptable installation? Thanks
How would a bath vent terminate at a crawlspace, was it a basement bathroom?

http://aspecresidential.com

Defiance home inspector
Northwest Ohio home inspector