Asbestos removal

I am not sure someone can help me here. I am a prospective buyer. If you know of a asbestos removal forum please let me know.

I decided to remove asbestos from the basement if I were to proceed with the contract. Can asbestos removal companies guarantee that after removal/remediation/cleaning I would be able to go down to levels of asbestos in the air between 0.0002 and 0.003 f/cc (which is the level observed in non contaminated building and outside air)… ? Is that possible…?

Jack,

I would contact a qualified, licensed asbestos removal company in your area. They should be able to answer your question. ACM (Asbestos Containing Material) is very hazardous to health and can be quite expensive to properly abate. Definitely something to leave to the experts.

Sorry to nitpick but your statement is not really accurate.

For instance we have hardboard siding here from decades ago that typically has some asbestos in it. It is not hazardous to anyone unless it is being removed from the house or someone decides to start sanding it.

It is encapsulated asbestos, also found in some old linoleum floor tiles and transite pipes for instance.

The more hazardous type is friable asbestos which can become airborne quite easily. This is the type typically found on boiler pipes for instance.

“Friable ACM is any material that contains more than one percent asbestos by weight or area, depending on whether it is a bulk or sheet material and can be crumbled, pulverized, or reduced to powder by the pressure of an ordinary human hand.”

Yes, if proper abatement procedures are followed.