Basement bedroom egress into garage

Is a basement bedroom window egress allowed to exit into the garage. Is the garage considered a public way safe for egress.
R310.2. Emergency escape and rescue openings shall open directly into a public way, or to a yard or court that opens to a public way.

No…

I didn’t think so but I was just trying to find code verbiage back me up.

The window opening, egress or not, is not permitted.
R309.1 Opening Penetration
*Openings from a private garage directly into a room used for sleeping purposes shall not be permitted. Other openings between the garage and the residence shall be equipped with solid wood doors not less than 1-3/8” (35 mm) in thickness, solid- or honeycomb-core steel doors not less than 1-3/8” (35 mm) thick, or 20-minute fire-rated doors.

** R309.2 Separation Required* *The garage shall be separated from the residence and its attic area by not less than 1/2-inch (12.7 mm) gypsum board applied to the garage side. *

So correct me if I’m wrong, Im approaching it from the bedroom out and it appears from reading this that it’s more of compromising the fire rating of the garage. Either way its a life safety issue.

Correct. Fire and Carbon Monoxide.

Thanks

Correct. Fire and Carbon Monoxide. But, the bedroom still needs a means of egress.

So would it be legal if the window was a fire rated door instead ???

No openings…

Yep, Read it after I posted it.