Ceiling fan rotation

Should the ceiling fan rotation be counterclockwise in the summertime or the other way around?

It should be moving air towards the ceiling.

It should move air toward you (down) in the summer to take advantage of evaportion on your skin to feel cool.

It should should move air **up in the winter **to push air down the sides of the room and to prevent the cool feeling on your skin.

Clockwise or counter clockwise depends on which way the fan blades are tilted.

They rotate counterclockwise in the northern Hemisphere,just like the drain water.:slight_smile:

Michael,
We can always count on you for the answers and the reasons for those answers
Thanks buddy

From HomeHints eNews June issue:

Check Ceiling Fan Rotation Direction

Most fan blades can be reversed for summer/winter settings so that cool air flows down in the summer and warm air is propelled up in the winter. Some fans use an electric switch to reverse the direction of rotation (typically on the outside of the motor housing) and some require that you reverse the blades by unscrewing and remounting them. Observe the fan while it’s running. In summer, the leading edge of the blades (the part that goes around first) should be higher than the trailing edge (the part that rotates last). When set correctly for summer, you can stand beneath the fan and feel the breeze. This should allow you to adjust your thermostat higher (or set the air conditioning lower), saving fuel while enjoying the cooling effect. Reverse for winter so that the airstream flows upwards.

I have mine pull the cool air from the floor up towards the hot ceiling that is insulation deficient.:wink: I surely wouldn’t want to direct that hot air downward now would I?? Maybe I should get an energy audit and upgrade my attic insulation??

On the real side you are mixing the air up no matter which way the blades turn IMO.
Anybody have IR showing both after it is spinning for a good amount of time.

The reason you force the air down in the summertime is because hot air rises and wants to stratify at the ceiling. You’re trying to mix the warm air with the cooler air at the floor. If you reverse the direction of the fan and pull air up towards the ceiling, you push the hot air sideways across the ceiling and it may never come down and reach the floor (depending on the size of the room and the height of the ceiling.

Hot and cool air do not mix well and unless you have turbulent airflow (right below the fan) it will not mix well.

I know, I know… hard to believe I agree with Bob, but…

Seems to me after the initial start-up, and a few minutes of getting the air circulating, there is little difference other than the air flow across one’s skin. Granted, if the room does not have a/c, the air flow across the skin would be preferable for increased comfort.

Somebody with a ceiling fan please light up a stogie and take pictures.

About time you got it right.:wink:

I sit under a ceiling fan at my desk.

In the Winter if I have the house at 65-68 degs. it feels very cold if it is blowing on me.

In the summer with the house at 78-82 it feels cool blowing on me.

YMMV

I’m not disputing that Mike, and I agree with the traditional rotation. I’m just making note that it really doesn’t matter on the direction of rotation that much. I had one of those fans years ago that you had to remount the blades. What a pain that was. After the first time, I said to hell with it.

And I’m not disputing with you :wink:

Just relaying my personal observations and reasoning.

Either direction will mix the air and in an unoccupied room it would make no difference.:shock:

Basic laws of physics are in play with a ceiling fan.
As Mike mentioned, when moving air over the skin, transpiration occurs, better known as evaporation of moisture on the skin,
and a lowering of body temperature due to heat loss at that point.
You do, in fact, “feel” cooler, with air moving over you…:slight_smile:

Recommendation: Use Manufactures Instructions. :cool:

You read instructions? :wink:

If I can understand them. But I always recommend them. :smiley:

Which is why I argue with my wife the reason behind her notion to leave the ceiling fans on when we are gone.

She thinks it keeps the dogs cooler. :roll: :slight_smile: