Cracked ceramic tile

I did an inspection on a 24 yr old house. One of the tiles in the bathroom was cracked and this was noted with the buyer and agent present. The buyer had a flooring contractor come in.The contractor picked up the heat register and said that there was only 1/4" as opposed to 1/2" plywood used and wall tile as opposed to floor adhesive was used. Now the agent is asking that I help pay for a new sub floor as he feels that his clients were “not properly represented” and he could have asked for a price reduction had I noted this. Comments?

For the future, put this in your agreement:

“INSPECTION DOES NOT INCLUDE – … Cosmetic features are excluded, including without limitation: paint; wall coverings; carpeting and other floor coverings;…”

For now, point out that a home inspection is not technically exhaustive. Nor is a home inspection a code inspection. Send them a list of your state’s SOP or the NACHI SOP. I don’t think you’ll find that a home inspector is expected to determine floor sheathing thickness.

Secondly, if you noted the cracked tile did the buyer have it checked out before he bought the home? Sounds like he did. Tell them to pound sand. You did your job.

You pointed it out …Your’re done…move on…

Thanks guys! My contract does have a cosmetic and aesthetic exclusion. The “contractor” claims that the floor will continue to crack (wasn’t a new floor). The buyer was simply seeking advice as to the level of severity of the issue. I contacted my client directly to ease his concerns. I stated that the contractor may be correct, but given that the older floor only has one cracked tile (no loose grout), that it is unlikely that the floor will deteriorate in a short time frame and that he should feel comfortable to be able to replace the floor as budget permits. The agent claims that his client will incur an unexpected expense that I should have identified. He feels that I should have investigated the cause of the cracked floor tile. Personally, I think that this agent likely made some sort of commitment to our client on my behalf. In defense of the agent, he says he will help pay for a new sub floor and is asking for a contribution from me. So the decision is ethical vs. business. This agent is the type that “fixes” minor things as we go (changes furnace filters, tightens loose faucets etc.) and often challenges my findings in front of the client. Eg: I once noted missing H-clips on sagging roof sheathing. He calls a contractor who claims that they weren’t needed. I put it in the report anyways. Despite this, he keeps recommending me to his clients, although after this issue, that may change. My dilemma is whether I should cave to his bullying so that he doesn’t bad mouth me to other agents or stand firm. Either way, I think I’ll “fire” this agent. The first time this guy threw me under the bus was after a client removed the vines that I suggested she remove from the side of her house. She discovers ants. The agent claims that I should have seen them! I explained to him as to why I had made this recommendation. I didn’t hear any more about it.

The agent earned $1,000s of dollars in commission you got a few hundred, maybe.:twisted:

nope, sorry:shock:

Cheers

And to think that today, even the 1/2" plywood would be unacceptable to a tile contractor.

What’ yo talking :):mrgreen:bout?

Tell them to go talk to the TN Commission of Commerce and Insurance.

It doesn’t matter what the hell they would have done “if they knew”.
It’s not your job to tell them.

If you reported every tile floor with 1/4 inch, that Realtor would be having fits. “There ain’t no crack, what’s the problem with 1/4 in you deal killer”!

Thank you for the responses! I e-mailed the agent stating all the technical exhaustive facets that may be present, explained our scope (although he should be aware of them) and deleted all my smart *** comments before I sent it. I also mentioned that I “could not partake in his generous offer to his client” to remodel the bathroom. He replied with a “thank you for the update” and “I understand”. I think that that’s the end of that!

Anytime I find cracked floor tiles, I immediately look for a heater vent to verify the underlayment. Tile installed on wood flooring without a proper backer will either crack or the grout will fail. Besides the heater vent, the other option is the bottom vanity drawer. Many don’t install more expensive flooring under the cabinets.

Sorry bout that, I thought your were Sean for some reason…