Door to Attic. To be rated or not?

OK. I know attic access at garage to attic has to be rated. My question is, which I could not find anything in the IRC is, door in walk in closet at second story is used for entry door to attic. Wall coverings have flame and smoke rating but I couldnt find anything that said a door leading into an attic had to be fire rated. Any help would be appreciated. I would think that a mininum you would want a rated door here.

Thanks
JL

To be or not to be?:slight_smile:

Not to be…but I can’t defend that right now. I’ve sure never written one up for not being rated. Why do you say the wall coverings (?) had flame and smoke rating? This wasn’t a duplex right?

I’m with Mike. I would think a greater benefit would come for fire rated interior doors than fire rated attic hatch doors, myself.

1 Like

I say not. Can’t see a reason for it. In a garage absolutely, the potentialy high risk of fire.
I’m with Mike, why fire rated wall covering?

JMHO
alan

(I know that I am not a code inspector.)

Just use it as a reference. I saw smoke density and flame spread at R319.1
IRC 2000

Wall and ceiling finishes shall have a flame spread classification of not greater than 200.

But their is an exception basically stating that this is not required for doors or windows.

I believe You guys are right, NOT TO BE.:smiley:

</IMG>

James, I see now what you are saying. My original thought was that you actually saw something on the walls near the door to lead you to believe the wall was fire rated but the door was not. I now understand you were referring to the code wording instead. Still, I know of no requirement for the wall nor door in this case to be fire rated.

Flame spread ratings and fire resistance ratings are two different things. Flame spread ratings are required in certain instances for finishes. Fire resistance ratings are required in some instances for floor, wall or ceiling assemblies, including doors. Flame spread ratings are expressed in numbers (50 - 75). Fire resistance ratings are expressed in amounts of time (1 1/2 hours). Door ratings are often also expressed with label designations (A, B, etc.) which correspond to time ratings.

Not required.

You would need to meet the local energy code U-factor for an opaque door here but fire separation between an attic and habitable space is only required to be what 1/2" drywall could provide in such a case.

Likely 20 minute rating… or just about any exterior type door.

Talk to your code authority.